I boiled a brisket!

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
That's right you heard me and it was damn good. OK - the real deal is I was in the mood for Ropa Vieja and the butcher had no flank so I used a brisket. It was awesome. No pics never happened - I'll beat you to it!:grin:

I hope I dont have nightmares tonight...that poor brisky in a big pot of water:sad:...and yeah what is Ropa Vieja? Maybe you can be forginen for the boiled brisket:roll:

Stew...yeah...I will have nightmares. Brisket didnt stand a chance.

I'm dissappointed in what you did - boiling a brisket you oughta be ashamed. But I am proud of how you played it, no pics didn't happen, how can I really be dissappointed truth is it never happened. Nice...

Well, some folks do boil corned briskets, so I guess that's not too far off. I have marinated and braised my fair share of briskets.

I can only assume that Ropa Vieja translates to Poor Brisket.

Good grief. I thought I was going to die when I read the thread title. I don't know why I clicked in here. I must be suicidal or something.

I can only assume that Ropa Vieja translates to Poor Brisket.

Good grief. I thought I was going to die when I read the thread title. I don't know why I clicked in here. I must be suicidal or something.

It's sort of like looking at a really bad car wreck!! You don't want to but you can't help it. The good thing.... No Pics=Ambulance blocking view of bloody body!

I have never boiled meat but was thinking..Would steaming the meat in a pressure cooker be more acceptable than boiling it?

It's one thing to boil a brisket in the privacy of your own home, but it's another thing entirely to advertise that you did it. :shock: :wink:

John

Crock pot it next time. I work with a guy that thinks crock pots make great BBQ. Of course he thinks it's BBQ!

I have never boiled meat but was thinking..Would steaming the meat in a pressure cooker be more acceptable than boiling it?

Yes, I know it is. I have several pressure cookers, most of the meats I use in Mexican dishes like my tamale or burrito fillings are done in a pressure cooker. I also do chicken and stew meat for soups. Of course browning it first adds a lot of flavor, but since a pressure cooker is a closed system (verses boiling) the flavors you start with are the ones you finish with. Plus the broth is incredible. The best thing is, the amount of water needed in a pressure cooker (unless you are specifically making broth) is way less than used when boiling.

I have been doing a 20 minute pressure finish on my pastrami when it comes off the pit. It reminds me of steamed deli pastrami.

DSC04444g.jpg

DSC04447g.jpg

Back