Bandera Water Pan ?

volare

Ok, new guy here. I rescued a neglected Bandera from my Brother-in-Laws second garage and am now putting it to the use that God intended. I've previously used horizontal smokers to good effect, but I've had to do some reading on this vertical Bandera. Luckily I found this site and the wealth of info that it offers including the Bandera 101 doc. The one question I couldn't find an answer to is: What is with this water pan? :confused:

Is it necessary to use? Only for certain types of smokes? How full do you fill it? Do you clean it out every time like a regular pan? Or is it just there to catch the drippings? I gather it serves some use in regulating temp too by letting off steam if the temps get up high enough? You feedback is appreciated!

I did a chicken the other night, and tonight is ribs. The photos on here are making me very hungry...

It's a water pan, put water in it. Ya, I know that some guys use sand etc. but I am old school and use it as intended. I use it for all cooking. Its main use is for a heat sink to keep temps stable. Once again, there is some disagreement here too. I fill it full of hot water each time and clean it as well. Lining it with foil aids in cleaning. Hope this helps. MMV

It's a water pan, put water in it. Ya, I know that some guys use sand etc. but I am old school and use it as intended. I use it for all cooking. Its main use is for a heat sink to keep temps stable. Once again, there is some disagreement here too. I fill it full of hot water each time and clean it as well. Lining it with foil aids in cleaning. Hope this helps. MMV

I manage to forget to foil every single time! :lol:

^^^^^What he said. Foil is your friend.

make sure you post some pron bro!

Ooops. Yeah, those were devoured too quickly to take any photos. But not to worry- today was merely a practice session- tomorrow is the main event- chicken and ribs at the same time. I have more time to do it too- so I can try the 3-2-1 thing. (Didn't have time for that today, but it was still excellent.)

I have lined it which works ok but still a little messy. I have made a dish over top of water so drippings go on that and wrap and toss when done.

Question? it it merely a heat sink ( device to dampen the effects of rapid heating and cooling ) couldn't a few fire bricks on a rack , or a thick steel plate perform the same function

and foil or a sheet of stainless over it in the "drop zone" make for for a cleaner mod ?

Back