What is Judging coming to? Lenexa BBQ

Just Pulin' Pork

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This was sent to me! Mods if this is wrong place to post please move it.I do not agree with it with an event of this size! What do you think?

LENEXA BBQ JUDGING SEATS - $215 (Lenexa)

Reply to: see below
Date: 2008-05-14, 11:05AM CDT

Ready for a fun filled day of eating some of the juiciest most delicious BBQ around? Our softball team, The Olathe Storm, has been given 2 judges seats for the famous Lenexa BBQ contest to auction off. Basically all you can eat BBQ!!
100% of proceeds will be donated for our team's expenses. You will also receive a tax receipt for your donation. Please email olathestorm@yahoo.com and leave your name, phone number, offer, or and question that you might have. The individual with the highest bid will receive the tickets. We will keep the highest bid posted below.

Highest bid: $ 215.00

Lenexa BBQ information:

June 26th @ 6:30(judges clinic)
June 27th & 28th
Friday 5pm – 11pm (pre-party)
Saturday 9am – 5pm (judging)

For more information on this amazing BBQ visit www.ci.lenexa.ks.us/parks/bbq.com

Thanks,

Olathe Storm

I did that contest a couple years. It is notorius for its judging or lack there of. I hope Merl sees this, I would like to know thoughts of boards on this. I would like to have some bbq guy with no umping experience tell them that he/she is going to do their game and see their thoughts. Ohh well. One of the reasons I don't do that contest.

I am not Merl but count just as much on the board. I will make sure it is brought to the attention of everyone else.

Linda Mullane

I am not Merl but count just as much on the board. I will make sure it is brought to the attention of everyone else.

Linda Mullane

Linda thank you. I am not meaning to bash anyone or keep people from making money but when we as teams spend as much $$$ on the sport/hobby I would like to think we can have CBJ's at these contests.

I think they have to attend the "judging clinic" on thursday though? At least that's how I am reading it. It was also posted on another Forum, that the Olathe Storm is a Special Olympics team. That si why it is tax deductible.

If that is the case, I do not see anything the matter with it.

This came up as a big discussion late last year. I was surprised to find out that judging seats are sold as part of sponsorship packages all the time.

I think they have to attend the "judging clinic" on thursday though? At least that's how I am reading it. It was also posted on another Forum, that the Olathe Storm is a Special Olympics team. That si why it is tax deductible.

Kind of off topic here, but I don't think you can report a charitable donation when you receive something for that donation, regardless of its worth and what you paid for it. In this case, you are purchasing judging seats through an auction. Their ad is a bit misleading that way.

Game on.

I was reading the same thing scottie. I could see it as paying for a judging class which probably comes with a membership to the KCBS and a pre party on Friday night. The judging is just the icing on the cake.
If its for a good cause like that, then I'd agree with it.

No, if yuou get any value, the 501c3 has to say what the value of that was. Not sure how they can determine what the value of the judging is?

As I just officially filed my taxes yesterday for my foundation. So I am well versed in tax laws right now. Unfortunately... :shock:

Seeing that the Storm's team isn't a bunch of 30-ear-old beer drinkers, I now don't have a real problem with the idea of selling the seats AS long as the buyers are required to attend the Thursday night clinic - if they are not already CBJs.

No, if yuou get any value, the 501c3 has to say what the value of that was. Not sure how they can determine what the value of the judging is?

As I just officially filed my taxes yesterday for my foundation. So I am well versed in tax laws right now. Unfortunately... :shock:

Thanks.

A number of contests have judges that are not CBJ's...especially large contests like this one. With close to 200 teams competing, it is a real challenge to find enough judges and table captains to cover every spot. Lenexa has good number of judges that only judge that single contest every year. They are not CBJ's...but they think they are. I think that is why they do the "Judges Clinic" on Friday...notice it's not a CBJ class. They need to streamline the judging with all of their old timers and all of the new folks...and they have plenty every year.

All that said...my thought is this: if you are going to get a judge who is not a CBJ anyway, you might as well get someone who paid good money to do it. They will take it seriously and look at it as a unique experience and will want to do it right.

Any one can give anyone a receipt! Just because you get a receipt doesn't mean you can deduct it.

I'm not a bbq competitor, nor am I a judge. But I see so many things wrong with this practice.

Well, the fines for doing these things are rather large. So it is a practice that I would not recommend. Unless of course you have a large account. As the IRS will start taking it pretty quick.

As for the "donation letter", it has to come obviously from a registered 501c3 corporation. The govt. gives out tax ID numbers just for that purpose. So I am assuming that the "Storm" is a registered 501c3 for them to claim that it is or could be a tax deduction.

While there are a lot of unethical groups out there, my guess is one that advertises in a ublic place will not be unethical...

Just some thoughts..

Well, the fines for doing these things are rather large. So it is a practice that I would not recommend. Unless of course you have a large account. As the IRS will start taking it pretty quick.

As for the "donation letter", it has to come obviously from a registered 501c3 corporation. The govt. gives out tax ID numbers just for that purpose. So I am assuming that the "Storm" is a registered 501c3 for them to claim that it is or could be a tax deduction.

While there are a lot of unethical groups out there, my guess is one that advertises in a ublic place will not be unethical...

Just some thoughts..

I stand corrected. I must have read that first post five times and didn't catch the "baseball team" part. Makes more sense to me now.

I am not a fan of the Lenexa BBQ because of things like this but I am fine with it since it is for a good cause. I think I have heard of celebrity judges there in the past. I could be wrong however. We do not do this contest anymore because of the entry process.

Last edited:

DITTO.

If the high bidder attends the clinic and shows up to judge rested and sober after the "pre-party", I do not see a problem.
JMHO

TIM

KCBS has resisted the urge to require all judges to be CBJ's. It has even resisted having a percentage of CBJ's. There are contest where no CBJ's are allowed to judge.

Many contest have asked for donations to judge. Many give priority to members of the booster club or foundation. KCBS does not make rules, recognizing these contest are raising money for worthy causes.

Saying that, we do not mean to say we don't have an interest. Last year we proposed to put the percentage of CBJ's from last year to be posted on the KCBS contest calendar. We now track these numbers and will be part of our web site. You can decide to go to contest with CBJ's or no CBJ's. Its your choice.

Why did we do this. I believe the market place will drive the contest. When contestants make the choice to attend contest with 100% CBJ's, then the message will be sent.

So in reality you have the power to send the message. If you do not approve of certain practices at contest, then don't go. When you see a contest that is run in the manner you believe is best, not only should you support this contest, but encourage your friends to do so as well.

It is time for each of us to speak out though our actions. The fight for contestants can only become more difficult in the next years. Let the organizer understand what you choose to support.

In that way, you have the voice, you can make change.

Sorry for the rant.
Yours in Q
Merl

Saying that, we do not mean to say we don't have an interest. Last year we proposed to put the percentage of CBJ's from last year to be posted on the KCBS contest calendar. We now track these numbers and will be part of our web site. You can decide to go to contest with CBJ's or no CBJ's. Its your choice.

How does KCBS go about making sure the percentages that the contest report are accurate? I judged a contest that was listed as a 100% CBJ's beforehand but only had 60-70% CBJs.

Back