Pro BBQ Clone at Sears???

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Someone on another forum posted he saw this at Sears and was wondeirng if anyone knew anything about them. At first I thought it was a ProBBQ cooker, but on closer inspection.....

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07115883000P?keyword=smoker

Compare the pics, they are different....

The REAL ProBBQ Frontier
Front-hm.jpg

The thing they are selling at Sears as the BBQ Pro...

Attachments

• bbqpro(sears).jpg
    bbqpro(sears).jpg
    14 KB · Views: 405
Maybe it is from the same manufacturer. Kind of like when Kenmore put their name on a whirlpool. Typically they change cosmetic features such as handles etc, looks like they did that on the 2 cookers

Interesting....

Like how they reversed the names....

Won't be surprised if it a spin-off/re-label coming from the original manufacturer.

It would appear that Sears has gone with the "private label" route. Past and present practice is to have a liscensing agreement with other manufacturers who will modify superficial changes and supply new labeling requirements.

Been there... done that with several retailers
(Lowes, Home Depot, Wal*mart, Sears, etc.)

PA

Won't be surprised if it a spin-off/re-label coming from the original manufacturer.

It would appear that Sears has gone with the "private label" route. Past and present practice is to have a liscensing agreement with other manufacturers who will modify superficial changes and supply new labeling requirements.
PA

The BBQ Pro has nothing to do with our company or our factory, it is a clone and judging by the price, not a very good one.
ProBBQ Ltd is the name of my company and our brand is "ProQ", so it seems they got that wrong too.
As one person (who owns an original ProQ)on another forum said "
You know what they say. Imitation is the sincerist (sp) form of flattery."

A mistaken assumption.

Please pardon my ignorance... which did not apply in this matter.

Slinkin' away into the smoke,
PA

quote=Ian Mack;609594]The BBQ Pro has nothing to do with our company or our factory, it is a clone and judging by the price, not a very good one.
ProBBQ Ltd is the name of my company and our brand is "ProQ", so it seems they got that wrong too.
As one person (who owns an original ProQ)on another forum said "
You know what they say. Imitation is the sincerist (sp) form of flattery."[/quote]

It's easy to make the assumption and I just wanted to make it clear, so I wasn't having a go at you, my apologies if it came out that way.

We have been approached by a few of the "big players", but have declined their offers, as I don't believe our products are in line with their business methods.

Most of these knock offs are clones created cheaply in China where our patents are worthless!

Sears sells the cheap stuff under BBQ Pro. I bought two kettles that have that name on them. I have also seen the identical kettles under the name Companion at Sears.

Weber used to make an "Economy" kettle that was sold at Sears, You had to assemble it and the vents were bolted on not riveted. I had a couple, I thought they were Happy Cookers but the Sears had an ash pan inside the bowl.

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/support/part/schematic.aspx?inc=P1343

They'll probably sell a ton of those and then in no time on craigslist!

The grill is 17 in. in height and has 450 sq. in. total cooking area.

17 inches isn't very tall. I hope that this is a typo.

It's easy to make the assumption and I just wanted to make it clear, so I wasn't having a go at you, my apologies if it came out that way.

We have been approached by a few of the "big players", but have declined their offers, as I don't believe our products are in line with their business methods.
How about a brethren discount on you products?

Maybe it is from the same manufacturer. Kind of like when Kenmore put their name on a whirlpool. Typically they change cosmetic features such as handles etc, looks like they did that on the 2 cookers

Exactly.. Kenmore doesn't even manufacture stuff. It's just a name exclusive for Sears, but in reality it's just a whirlpool or fridigaire.

How about a brethren discount on you products?
As we are trying to set up a dealer network (through specialized BBQ stores), I think it would kinda undermine them if we started discounting the products.

If it was just our company retailing the products, I would have been happy to work out a discount just for the brothers on here.

Ian

So if the BBQPRO is a clone of the PROBBQ then isn't the PROBBQ a clone of the WSM? So what's the WSM a clone of? All this cloning..........clone this clone that, rats and sheep!! (rant mod) (cloned rant mod) (clone of a cloned rant mod)

I want to be able to clone a 30 pack of beer at home. Then I'll be happy!!:twisted:

So if the BBQPRO is a clone of the PROBBQ then isn't the PROBBQ a clone of the WSM? So what's the WSM a clone of? All this cloning..........clone this clone that, rats and sheep!! (rant mod) (cloned rant mod) (clone of a cloned rant mod)

I want to be able to clone a 30 pack of beer at home. Then I'll be happy!!:twisted:
Well, since the biggest WSM is only 18 1/2 inches and does not have modules to allow you to make it even taller, then I would say the Pro BBQ is more innovation than clone. A 20" bullet smoker with 3 levels? Sounds like a dream come true to me.

My order for the ProQ Excel 20 with extender goes in Monday!

Well, since the biggest WSM is only 18 1/2 inches and does not have modules to allow you to make it even taller, then I would say the Pro BBQ is more innovation than clone. A 20" bullet smoker with 3 levels? Sounds like a dream come true to me.

Very true. I'm thinking about an extender too. Hope it didn't come across like I was knocking any of those smokers.
It would be really nice to have more room in the WSM.
I'm just pissed off that I can't clone beer!!:twisted:

Ian,
So where in the States are we to find dealers for your products? My bro and I (both WSM owners) are looking for the stackers. Are you ready to reveal the sources or is it still to soon?

Back