THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
So…Mrs Snadamo got this monster rib roast for Christmas. 13lbs! I was expecting 7-8 pounder but it was the last one the butcher had. So anyway, I haven’t done one before, and I’m not going to be in a position or stable mind to tinker on Christmas Day.

That being said, my game plan at a high level is this:
  1. bones appear to be separated already, so possibly just french them
  2. Trim fat to taste
  3. dry brine with a basic SPG overnight in fridge
  4. this this is MASSIVE and womt fit any vac seal bag. so will use oven bag for sous vide
  5. sous vide @ 130 for 6 hours
  6. after six or so hours, sear it on either charcoal or gas grill
  7. possibility make a garlic butter to drizzle on it too. undecided

I had to by a larger container also because it didn’t fit my 12 qt; which is fine cause I’ll use it for multiple purposes. I have a backup plan if things fail for just about everything, but I think given the day, and what it means, I really want to use the KISS method.

What do you guys think? Appreciate any and all brethren feedback. I’ve been reading that excellent rib roast thread by Gore and it’s great.

Edit: sorry for upside down pics; outside grilling chicken :)

Attachments

• 32D87FA0-B625-4883-B139-715CEA964255.jpg
    32D87FA0-B625-4883-B139-715CEA964255.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 1620735D-C164-412D-B7C3-6D52D5DE6C08.jpg
    1620735D-C164-412D-B7C3-6D52D5DE6C08.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 246
Maybe cut some steaks off of it to get it down to a manageable size. That was my thoughts on the one I ordered from SRF (ended up being perfect size already)

That has certainly crossed my mind, although I don’t have a true headcount yet. But unless is like 30+ I can’t imagine needed that much.

I do not have any Sous Vide recommendations for you as I have never attempted a big piece of meat like that.

I have taken a liking to cooking 5-6 pound prime ribs rather than the whole thing. I feel I get a more even cook with the smaller pieces when cooking at 225 degrees on my smoker. Therefore, I would suggest you cut it in half. Cut in half might work better in the bath as well.

As for the children, unless you know they are red meat eaters, I would prepare chicken chunks or chicken tenders.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Robert

I have taken a liking to cooking 5-6 pound prime ribs rather than the whole thing. I feel I get a more even cook with the smaller pieces when cooking at 225 degrees on my smoker. Therefore, I would suggest you cut it in half. Cut in half might work better in the bath as well.

I'm in the same camp. While not applicable to sous vide, we get a couple smaller roasts and cook them to two different temps to satisfy the natives with differing preferences. We also order the roasts from the small / loin end to reduce the size of the glob of fat around the eye found on the large / chuck end. :mrgreen:

All pellet smoker, low for 60-75min for smoke, then 325* until done. It's a very easy tinker free cook.
Split in two as suggested by others gives you more ends and more range of doneness to serve,
for kids and even adults who don't appreciate a true medium rare.

As for the children, unless you know they are red meat eaters, I would prepare chicken chunks or chicken tenders.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Robert

Oh, my boys certainly are :D

Thank you and Merry Christmas as well!

Sounds pretty similar to my game plan.

I have a roughly 8 lb roast... I had to cut the bones off to get it to fit in my vacuum bag. My plan is putting it in the sous-vide straight from the freezer for 10 hours at 133, then let it rest until it's cool enough not to melt butter, and slather it in a compound butter and into the oven at 475 for about 15 minutes or until it has a nice color.

Kinda bummed I had to cut the bones off. Oh well, I'll make stock with it I guess.

The only thing I question on your plan is the time in the bath. Most everything I see says 6-8 hours for a standard 3 bone roast. Yours being almost half again bigger I would think you might want to go a bit longer on.

Just cooked one Friday. I cut it down in half, made steaks out of other half, removed the bones completely and dry brined it overnight. 250 on the offset, then a sear on the firebox. Smoked the bones for a bit, removed the meat and refrigerated overnight. The prime rib was perfect and perfect amount for the family. Deep fried them next day for fried steak bites and dusted with garlic parm seasoning. Used every bit of the roast. Just picked up another full roast at the commissary for 4.99 a pound to break into steaks.

Thanks Smoke Ninja. Would you count 1/2 lb for kids?

it all depends the crowd...how big the eaters are. I would count 1 lbs per person (kids included) figuring some will eat less but others will eat more. it's an average. I don't mind the leftovers so aim a little high. you can keep numbers tighter if you have another meat.

as you cook these things you'll get a feel for how much your crowd eats.

Sounds pretty similar to my game plan.

I have a roughly 8 lb roast... I had to cut the bones off to get it to fit in my vacuum bag. My plan is putting it in the sous-vide straight from the freezer for 10 hours at 133, then let it rest until it's cool enough not to melt butter, and slather it in a compound butter and into the oven at 475 for about 15 minutes or until it has a nice color.

Kinda bummed I had to cut the bones off. Oh well, I'll make stock with it I guess.

The only thing I question on your plan is the time in the bath. Most everything I see says 6-8 hours for a standard 3 bone roast. Yours being almost half again bigger I would think you might want to go a bit longer on.

Thank you for bringing that up. I certainly have no issues starting earlier...other than I have to start it earlier haha. I was going to prep everything the night of xmas eve and then start it after presents; but I may just start it before.

Head count is only 8-11 people so I think we're good there. I think my beautiful wife says we are eating at 3ish so looking like 6AM bath for that hunk o meat.

I think my beautiful wife says we are eating at 3ish so looking like 6AM bath for that hunk o meat.

I just did the math on mine. I might rethink the idea of doing it from frozen. We're planning on eating at 3 as well with an hour travel time to the destination, which would mean I'd have to get up and get it going around 4 am for mine. Think I'll defrost it after all and save the 2 hours for sleeping.

So…Mrs Snadamo got this monster rib roast for Christmas. 13lbs! I was expecting 7-8 pounder but it was the last one the butcher had. So anyway, I haven’t done one before, and I’m not going to be in a position or stable mind to tinker on Christmas Day.

That being said, my game plan at a high level is this:
  1. bones appear to be separated already, so possibly just french them
  2. Trim fat to taste
  3. dry brine with a basic SPG overnight in fridge
  4. this this is MASSIVE and womt fit any vac seal bag. so will use oven bag for sous vide
  5. sous vide @ 130 for 6 hours
  6. after six or so hours, sear it on either charcoal or gas grill
  7. possibility make a garlic butter to drizzle on it too. undecided

I had to by a larger container also because it didn’t fit my 12 qt; which is fine cause I’ll use it for multiple purposes. I have a backup plan if things fail for just about everything, but I think given the day, and what it means, I really want to use the KISS method.

What do you guys think? Appreciate any and all brethren feedback. I’ve been reading that excellent rib roast thread by Gore and it’s great.

Edit: sorry for upside down pics; outside grilling chicken :)

Howdy. Couple of points to touch on. Ribeye has a lot of fat, both inter, intra and on the surface. Fat tends to render better at slightly higher temperatures such as 133/134. That slight temp increase won't noticeably affect the color / degree of doneness. It'll still be a nice midrare.

Next, the question of cook time. A detail that many folks miss is that cook time charts for SV are for the center of meat to get to 1 degree less than the water temp. At that time, there will be no temp gradient in the meat.

It will take more than 6 hours for that hunk of beef to reach thermal equilibrium. That said, the center will be "close".

heatmahimahi.jpg

Here is a pic of a temp curve (ignore the actual times and temps). What it shows is how the rate of temp change is faster when the water and meat temps are vastly different. As the meat temp approaches the water temp, the rate of increase flattens out quite a bit.

that's a long way of saying while it might take 10 minutes for the meat temp to increase 1 degree early in the cook, it might take 45 minutes for the temp to increase the same "1 degree" as you near thermal equilibrium.

If you are actually wanting the meat to be the same temp throughout, kick the time up to 8 to 10 hours minimum. If you are fine with the center being 2 or 3 degrees lower than the outer portion, then the 6 hours will work.

With PR, you can use this to your advantage though. You won't have a bark when cooking sv. To get one, you'll need to pull from the bath when it's done, dry it off and then blast it at high heat. You could stick a probe in it while blasting it to make sure that it doesn't go above your set temp.

I just did an 8lb rib roast.
Seasoned with homemade smoked spog.
Sous vide'd 8 hrs at 132F.
Dried, schmeared with some of my smoked butter. More smoked spog.
Placed in a preheated 500F oven for 15 minutes to brown, then let it set for 15 before carving.

No fuss, no problems.
It was med rare all the way.

Good luck with it Adam. I'm sure yours will be delicious!! :grin:

I did a small 5 pounder last night for a New Years practice run.
In the oven even. Too cold for me outside at -3.

It was evenly cooked and tasted great...But...

I want to see pics of that monster ready to devour!
One of the easiest things I make for the season!

Thanks for all the input brethren! I will update you guys tomorrow hopefully with pics!

At my mother in laws house for Xmas eve. Haven’t been over here in a year because of all my medical stuff. I got the prime rib in the fridge she seasoned and Frenched (0poorly, I might add) with SPOG.

Last edited:
Back