Which ball valve for grease drains?

jtfisher63

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to add a couple of ball valves to the grease drains on my pit and I'm not sure which valves to use. Right now there is a pipe about 1 1/2" diameter and 4" long coming out of the bottom of the barrel and vertical sections. I was planning on welding on ball valves to ease the clean up. I was at Home Depot last night and saw some 1" ball valves for about $13 that said for water, gas or oil use. Think these we work? The drains are at the opposite end of the firebox and I can't imagine them getting any hotter than maybe 300 degrees. If not what valves should I get? Thanks in advance.

Jason

2 inch brass valve.....That's what's on the BYC and, I think, Large Marge....Works like a charm except when some chunk of char gets stuck in there....but a little twig stuck up there usually does the trick.

I got a one and one-half inch ball valve with a four inch pipe adaptor to fit my Smokemaster, works good so far; woulda gone for 2 inch but could not find it reasonably priced at the time. Don't have a pic but next time I take one of the pit, will try for a close up.

I got a one and one-half inch ball valve with a four inch pipe adaptor to fit my Smokemaster, works good so far; woulda gone for 2 inch but could not find it reasonably priced at the time. Don't have a pic but next time I take one of the pit, will try for a close up.

Cool, if ya had a pic that would be sweet. Are the valves just the ones used for water, oil and gas? Or are they some special high temp valves?

Jason

Maybe these will help....
Trad_Upright_2.jpg

Model-60-002.jpg

the standard valves are fine. They are made of brass and will handle the heat. I braze them with oxy/acetylene and they take it. Just be sure and buy a "full port" valve so the opening is unrestricted.

Those pics do help. I figured I would have to braze them on due to them being brass. Thanks guys.

Jason

Back