Freezer dive — brisket chili cook underway

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Absolutely brilliant idea for a throw down. In addition to the brisket I cleaned out a bunch of other things that needed to go — several of which my wife never should have put in there.

On to the cook. I’m totally making this up as I go. I think I’m going to use the two alarm chili kit initially and use the Oakridge peppers as a second dump. Peppers are from the garden — need to use what’s left up before a freeze hits.

i-zTTxpmT-XL.jpg

Started by softening the onion, peppers and garlic.

i-JRR722R-XL.jpg

After that, pretty much everyone in the pool. I decided to hold off on the Rotel, at least for now and needed a second can of beef broth. I also held off on the kidney beans till later (which I’m sure some will say should be a permanent decision) so they don’t break down excessively. I also added juice from a lime that wasn’t in the original picture to get some acid in there.

i-JWqt42B-XL.jpg

And onto the Rectec at 225.

i-sT9L699-XL.jpg

More to come…..

Yessir! This looks great! I love saving away brisket for chili. Really amps up the chili. Also can serve to help reclaim brisket that otherwise might be under or overcooked.

What’s this under or overcooked brisket of which you speak? I’ve never experienced that — mine are always perfect :heh:

Amen. Love where this is headed. :pop2:

Think I can almost smell it from here.

Added a tablespoon of Ancho, New Mexico and Guajillo chili as a second dump. Added some cumin too just because. I did remember the beans towards the end which was good.

Overall, really happy with the results. Good flavor and a nice level of heat. I expected the meat to break down a little more but it was really tender.

i-Q7frXhM-XL.jpg

Thanks for following!

You got me wishin for Chilli!
I brought freezer brisket, but left my Dutch oven at home.

Back