THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bill
Picked up a prime packer from Costco for $2.99/lb which is a really good price around here. Quite a bit of fat to cutoff but it was nice and floppy so felt pretty good about it.

Seasoned with SPOGOS and put it on at about midnight last night on the smoke setting. Bumped it to 225 this morning and started spritzing it periodically. Wrapped in butcher paper about 9:00 this morning and pulled it about 3:00.

I don't usually keep things that low for that long -- nor do I usually use butcher paper (mostly because I don't usually have it). Will try this again though as it was easily one of the best I've done.

IMG_4867_HEIC-XL.jpg

IMG_4870_HEIC-XL.jpg

IMG_4871_HEIC-XL.jpg

Lumberjack pellets. Honestly not sure which variety was in there. I mostly use hickory or the supreme blend but I’ve purchased a couple others variants. I personally can’t tell the difference so end up not paying a lot of attention which I’m using.

Flavor was very good. Good level of smoke and I really like SPOGOS. I’ve used Black Ops for quite a few years and it’s good but i definitely prefer SOGOS

Excellent work! I am a day behind you in that I put a brisket on several hours ago for tomorrow nights dinner. Hope it’s half as good as yours :)

How long did you have it smoking at extreme smoke

A long time. It went all night on the low setting so it was probably at least 7 hours before I bumped it up. It was fairly cold -- probably high 20s -- and I don't have the insulated jacket on it so I don't know whether you end up with more or less smoke than if you did the same thing in the summer. It certainly has to work harder to keep the temp up which would lead me to think less but to the extent that it works by cycling the fan (which I'm not sure it does) then who knows.

I had a Smoke probe in there on the left side, which should be the cooler part, reading in the low 190s when it was on that setting. My guess is that means the brisket was probably running somewhere 200-205.

Looks awesome Bill! I used foil on the last brisket because I ran out of butcher paper and didn't like the flavor profile or texture. It had been a really long time since I used foil and I appreciate butcher paper even more now.

A long time. It went all night on the low setting so it was probably at least 7 hours before I bumped it up. It was fairly cold -- probably high 20s -- and I don't have the insulated jacket on it so I don't know whether you end up with more or less smoke than if you did the same thing in the summer. It certainly has to work harder to keep the temp up which would lead me to think less but to the extent that it works by cycling the fan (which I'm not sure it does) then who knows.

I had a Smoke probe in there on the left side, which should be the cooler part, reading in the low 190s when it was on that setting. My guess is that means the brisket was probably running somewhere 200-205.

I’m going to try this next time. You got a way bigger smoke ring than I’ve ever gotten on my rec tec. Thanks

I’m going to try this next time. You got a way bigger smoke ring than I’ve ever gotten on my rec tec. Thanks

That's interesting because the smoke ring is the one thing that's been pretty consistent on my briskets with the Rectec. It's always about that large and defined -- though this time it was somewhat deeper red I think.

I'm certainly going to try it again next time as well. We'll see whether it was a good brisket selection, technique or dumb luck.

Back