Befuddled!

Sorry for your loss buddy [emoji3525]

But that does sound pretty darn tasty! [emoji39]

What did you think of your co-workers chili?

I do our company chili cook-off almost yearly. You just cant guess what judges are looking for. I made a darn good pot of chili, one that has won year after year. But get this..i tied for second with someone who had 1. never made chili before 2. is Vegetarian and 3. Made a fish chili to top it off.

With that Im not sure Ill compete this year. :)

I do our company chili cook-off almost yearly. You just cant guess what judges are looking for. I made a darn good pot of chili, one that has won year after year. But get this..i tied for second with someone who had 1. never made chili before 2. is Vegetarian and 3. Made a fish chili to top it off.

With that Im not sure Ill compete this year. :)

FISH chili?!

was it a sanctioned competition or a homestyle competition. if you are competing in competition where bacon wins you might as well try tossing in some lobster also! :grin:
give these guys a try to compete in some texas red competitions.
https://chilicookoff.com
check out the top prize... $25,000.00 compared to $10,000.00 at the jack daniel's!
bbq competitions...thousands of dollars to compete
chili...a pot a half pound of meat and a folding chair.

Last edited:
I have too much respect for chili to compete because there's no accounting for taste. I did a couple years ago for my son's scouting events and the winners were using cans of manwich and pineapple. Judges were local cops and firemen. I felt unsafe after.

I'd start where the judges usually eat at or what their definition of a chili is Neil. To some people I've cook bbq for, Lucille's BBQ ribs drenched in sweet ketchup or brisket with sauce is way better than the crap I served them. :laugh:

Lost a chili cook off at work to a coworker who made his chili with hamburger, polish sausage, and bacon!

Bet the beans in it won them over
In nAustralia I'm south of the border and always use beans:laugh:

Were the judges millennials? How are they going to know good/real chili? DUH as they say. :tsk:

We are all being lost to history.

I'd start where the judges usually eat at or what their definition of a chili is Neil. To some people I've cook bbq for, Lucille's BBQ ribs drenched in sweet ketchup or brisket with sauce is way better than the crap I served them. :laugh:
I once had someone tell me BBQ was nothing more than pig parts drenched in BBQ sauce. :shock:

If I were one of the judges Neil you would have won hands down, I only make chili with smoked brisket anymore, on occasion I'll add a pound of chopped smoked bacon, because bacon.

Back