Salt and pepper pork ribs?

wahoowad

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I love my various prepared rubs to the point I never have tried just a salt and pepper cook. I want to change that soon and for some reason was thinking of starting with some babyback or spareribs.

Anybody here a s&p rib fan and can suggest how to do it? 50/50 ? 60/40? Heavy coat? Light coat?

Will saucing at the end overpower salt & pepper?

Some of my favorite ribs.

Go lite, you want to see the meat. Ribs being thin can be over seasoned. Use less than traditional rub. Ratio can be whatever you like, typical brisket rubs work well. Dont sauce. It will take away from the simple goodness that makes salt and pepper ribs work so well

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257415

I do 2 parts pepper 1 part salt by weight and a medium to heavy dusting... simple ketchup + worchesteshire (sp?) thinned pretty good with vinegar if saucing it- do 1/2 thinned sauce and 1/2 naked to see what you prefer. I prefer naked, wife ands kids sauced...

Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, no wrap, no sauce. I didn't measure anything, just what looked right. Just go for it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

39614543125_b8dd42d378_z.jpg

here's the way I see it.. Why not try it? can't go wrong with salt pepper.. I personally use less salt than pepper on any of my SP, SPOG mixtures.

Normally I would mix in a container 1/2 cup pepper, 1/2 cup salt, 1/4 cup garlic, 1/4 onion powder and that's my go to seasoning for almost everything! Sometimes I do 1/4 salt instead.. for a less salty mix!

Try it.. I bet S&P ribs would be awesome.. but I personally would use SPOG instead :)

Some of my favorite ribs.

Go lite, you want to see the meat. Ribs being thin can be over seasoned. Use less than traditional rub. Ratio can be whatever you like, typical brisket rubs work well. Dont sauce. It will take away from the simple goodness that makes salt and pepper ribs work so well

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257415

This is how I do it. 50-50 by weight is popular, I go 1/3 kosher salt to 2/3 fresh black pepper.. For me, if you can barely see it on the spares, that's about it. You can always add more at the table, you can't remove it. I'm not a sauce person, I'd suggest no sauce except on the table for those who want it.

Salt

Hi All Just out of curiosity I put Kosher salt on my St Louis ribs 5 hrs before cooking, then hit then with a little rub. cook at 250* for 5 hrs no sauce I like them dry..I could still taste a strong salt taste?
Thanks DanB

Last edited:
Hi All Just out of curiosity I put Kosher salt on my St Louis ribs 5 hrs before cooking, then hit then with a little rub. cook at 250* for 5 hrs no sauce I like them dry..I could still taste a strong salt taste?
Thanks DanB
Was there salt in the rub? Many are mostly salt.

Easy on the salt, heavier on the pepper...

BAM!!!!

Best ribs ever!

All these rubs, and layering, which one first, finish rubs blah blah blah just aren’t needed...

Easy on the salt, heavier on the pepper...

BAM!!!!

Best ribs ever!

All these rubs, and layering, which one first, finish rubs blah blah blah just aren’t needed...

Hi I don't know bout that. I had to add bbq sauce to get rid of the salty taste.
I like my rib dry.
Thanks DanB

Dan, light on the salt heavier on the pepper and put them on the smoker.

No waiting 5 hours, no rub on top of the salt and pepper...

Just salt, pepper, smoke...

Heck, I'll join the frey.

For pork ribs I do 1 part kosher salt to 2 parts coarse ground black pepper ratio. You can eyeball it as well.

The important thing is to use common sense in application. Ribs are thin with a higher surface area to inside meat ratio. In using the S&P ratio above, I add enough to give me the peppered look I want. Remember that a 50/50 S&P ratio works well for brisket, pork butts, and even beef ribs because they are extremely thick, and can handle the extra salt. Ribs are much more thin and should be treated a bit more delicately.

If you like sauce, I don't think you'll mess up your S&P ribs with it.

I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to seasoning barbecue. I like all the rubs, layering of rubs, smoke levels, sauces, and everything else that comes with somebody else's barbecue...I don't discriminate. I will cook that way every now and then also...but "my" barbecue always seems to taste better with just salt & pepper...or just salt in some instances. Now there are certain things I use sauce on...I use it as an ingredient, and I don't consider anything I serve as being "saucy".

Long story short...S&P works great on pork ribs.

Salt

Dan, light on the salt heavier on the pepper and put them on the smoker.

No waiting 5 hours, no rub on top of the salt and pepper...

Just salt, pepper, smoke...

Hi I thought the 5 hrs was for dry brining?
Thanks DanB

I haven't done just S&P for a while, so my next one is due. However, If you planned to add some sweet later don't use sauce. I don't use sauce on ribs, but one of my most liked methods is using a generous amount of S&P (I have also used Salt Lick Rub which is salt and peppers) for 3 hours, wrap after sprinkling a couple or more tablespoons brown sugar on the foil, lay them meat side down and some more sugar on the top of the ribs and a drizzle of vinegar, cook for 2 hours or until almost tender, then unwrap and dry outside until done. It won't be crazy sweet and is pretty simple.

Back