In Search Of Thin Blue Smoke

JVM59

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
How is the thin, blue smoke achieved that is optimal for smoking? I have heard
that white smoke is a fire starved for oxygen, but when I open the air intake
to add more oxygen, the pit temp. rises. What about the exhaust vent?
Thanks in advance.

What kind of cooker are you using and what temp are you cooking at?

My large BGE doesn't like to run cleanly between 225º-250º either. I've found that in order to achieve a clean burning fire with lump charcoal, I need to be closer to 275º. At that temperature, it will run close to 15 hours if necessary. You may find as I did that if you want to cook at those lower temperatures, you'll have better luck with a different type of cooker. After I read that Aaron Franklin's go to temperature for most meats is about 275º, I never worried about cooking below that on my egg or my offset for that matter.

JokerBroker's got this ^^

I find 275 is where my two cookers will hum like a top. Anytime I try to get them to 225, I get that bitter ugly smoke. Clean heat is where it's at. I use to worry that 275 was too hot and, also after reading Franklin's BBQ Manifesto, I find that the water pan is my hedge against too hot of a temp spike.

In other words, 275 almost ensures you'll be getting a decently-clean fire. Another possibility is going ultra-clean, the so-called wavy-line transparent smoke, but that'll require using a lot less fuel. If I have time, I'll cook with my firebox door open and use a half or even quarter of a split to add on top of my coal bed. I like the wavy-line version, but it's a lot of labor.

On the LSG either use a maze in the charcoal basket or using water may allow you to open the exhaust without temps going crazy. How are you starting your fire? Sometimes a cabinet just needs time to settle in before it runs clearer. It doesn't have to be 100 percent clear though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On the Egg make sure you are using large chunks of lump and it should be easy. If you use using medium and small bits it will never happen and you will fight it. Bigger = easier. I dont think you will get 225 though. It will be higher.

My large BGE doesn't like to run cleanly between 225º-250º either. I've found that in order to achieve a clean burning fire with lump charcoal, I need to be closer to 275º. At that temperature, it will run close to 15 hours if necessary. You may find as I did that if you want to cook at those lower temperatures, you'll have better luck with a different type of cooker. After I read that Aaron Franklin's go to temperature for most meats is about 275º, I never worried about cooking below that on my egg or my offset for that matter.

Ditto. 275-325 is my target range for smoking but have had good results at 350-400 too.

Back