Drum Smoker - Expanded Metal Charcoal Basket Question

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
Which "diamond direction" is the easiest to form into a circle? The short way or the long way? I'm thinking the answer is the short way. I have access to a customers drop rack so I can get strips with diamonds in either direction and should be able to get raised or flat.

If I understand correctly, I did mine the “long” way with no problems. The short way would seem harder to bend.

Either way is no problem. Wearing leather gloves, just give slight pushes with one hand on each side of a post/poles to bend against. Go slow, till you get it shaped how you want it. Bends very easily. Start placing a slight bend about every 4", then go again about every 1"-1.5". You should be close by that point, then tweak to fit.

I just ran across this VIDEO from Brethren member "Rodney" where he mentions that the short way is easier to roll. In a post in the massive UDS thread I found another post where he claimed something like expando rolls 4 times easier in this direction.

I just ran across this VIDEO from Brethren member "Rodney" where he mentions that the short way is easier to roll. In a post in the massive UDS thread I found another post where he claimed something like expando rolls 4 times easier in this direction.

Makes sense to me, as expanded metal tends to fold along the intersections as apposed to the strands, which have a larger cross section due to the twisting of the metal while stretching.
So, of course the "If a Redneck wanted to build a UDS" thread shows the opposite.
089810ceef955ed3aa230de1d9a783bc.jpg

3/4 #9 rolling long ways is tuff- it will not go without a fight. Gloves are required- a frosty beverage (or 2) is recommended. If you don't have something solid (and solidly planted at that) to bend it around, you may have a bad time of it.
(The cheapo stuff at HD or Lowes is very simple to handle- you won't even work up a sweat)

When I bent mine I took it to my wood top picnic table and put it in the gap and worked it around 1/2 one way then the other end. Was real easy. Yes leather gloves needed.

I just made this one yesterday. Didn't even consider which direction the diamonds were. I rolled it around a propane tank and then attached it to the bottom

Last edited:
Thirdeye, as an aside, I made some loin buckboard using Hi Mountain, following your blog post (like I always do). I can't see myself doing it with a butt again...it was delicious!

Thanks everyone for the replies. After some experimentation with some scraps at work I determined that rolling the expando the short way is way easier, it's actually way more flexible than a strip cut the long way. I didn't have access to the flat face (which would have been even easier to roll) but the raised face was not bad at all, it took me about an hour to remove my old basket, form a new (and taller one) and re-attach it to my existing base. I went 4" taller this time which I'm hoping gives me 6 or more additional hours of burn time.

I used a 13" cast iron grate to form the expando around... tying it off in the center of the strip and just working my way around. The finished size was 14.5" dia X 10" tall. I'll put a few pictures in a post in the UDS mega thread for reference to others.

XGKK6ft.jpg

9u0OB2b.jpg

8gu9p1x.jpg

Back