Mortar in firebrick?

Southstar Jeff

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a new Bandera that I go on the $89 clearance. I've some firebrick for the firebox and for the bottom of the cook chamber.

I won't be grilling in the firebox, so left out the brackets for the racks in the firebox and want to line it to the top. I was thinking the loose bricks would fall in, so thinking of using some sort of adhesive to hold them in place.

I found this firebox mortar that seems to fit the bill.

https://www.rutland.com/p/44/fireplace-mortar

Anyone try fixing their firebox firebrick permanently in place?

I skipped that and just ordered thicker sheet metal for the bottom and the sides. I went with 1/4" steel.

I sort of kick myself for not getting one- I love to tinker with new cookers and learn their in's and outs. I'm not sure I'd do much modding to one- lining the firebox lid with a sheet of steel would probably be the only thing.

Maybe one will show up on the CL and catch me with a few $$ and spare room in my backyard.

I sort of kick myself for not getting one- I love to tinker with new cookers and learn their in's and outs. I'm not sure I'd do much modding to one- lining the firebox lid with a sheet of steel would probably be the only thing.

Maybe one will show up on the CL and catch me with a few $$ and spare room in my backyard.

Plano Walmart off Ohio have the displays for sale

I guess I will be the guinea pig. I like the idea of that ceramic mass, and if I mortar them in, no ash or other contaminants on the metal.

We are going to find out, lol.

Brick Lining

The fire brick I found fit snugly into the box...

Attachments

• Bricks from door.JPG
    Bricks from door.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Bricks from top.JPG
    Bricks from top.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 148
Is that with no cutting of the firebrick? If so, it seems like the firebox was designed for that. Nice! :thumb:

I had to trim one brick at the smoker wall, and notch two at the door side to clear the bolt heads. I used a masonry wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Tapped it all in with a rubber mallet.

Fire Basket

I fabbed the fire basket from angle iron, some landscape edging and expanded metal. The high steel sides keep some heat from the firebox sides.

Attachments

• Fire Basket.JPG
    Fire Basket.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Basket from door.JPG
    Basket from door.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 165
Back