Chicken brine ?

sylntghost

is Blowin Smoke!
My dad wants me to cook him smoked chicken for Father's Day.i plan on spatchcocking the bird but want a really juicy bird. What is a good brine recipe and how long do you keep it in the brine. Plan on seasoning with killer hogs the BBQ rub. Thanks guys.

Cornell Chicken is one of my favorites... But a must to brine for 24 hours for best results.
Recipe for Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce (enough for 10 halves):
http://cornell-classic.univcomm.cornell.edu/xsearch/?id=132&tab=facts
Dr. Robert C. Baker, creator of chicken nuggets and Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce (Roadside Chicken).

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper per taste
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add the oil and beat again. Add other ingredients and stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes.
store in the refrigerator

In a large bowl, whisk the egg white and yolk together with a balloon whisk or a hand mixer. Add the oil and whisk until it gets thick, and bright yellow, for about 2 minutes. Now whisk in the vinegar, salt, seasoning, and pepper.

Stab the chicken skin several times with a fork or knife so the marinade can get in and so fat can get out when cooking. This will help make the skin crispy. Marinate the chicken for 3 to 4 hours in ziploc bags in the fridge. Turn the bag every hour or so, so that all surfaces get well coated.

Set up the grill for 2-zone cooking. Try to get the indirect side in the 225°F range. Place the chicken over the indirect zone and close the lid. Every 5 to 10 minutes baste with the marinade, turn the chickens on both sides, then rotate the chickens every 20 minutes so they cook evenly.

Cook about 60 to 90 minutes until the internal temperature of each part is 150°F and stop basting. Exact time will depend on how thick the meat is, and how often you basted. Then move them over the hot direct heat side of the grill, skin side down. Remove the lid, and crisp the skin without burning it for 10 to 15 minutes. turn and heat for about 5 minutes more. This step is important to finish the cooking of the meat, crisp the skins, and make sure everything is sterile since it contains raw egg. When the skin is crisp and the internal temp is 165°F, take the meat off. Even if it is a bit red in there when you cut in, it is safe at 165°F. You cannot judge a chicken's safety by the color of the juices! I strongly recommend you use a fast read digital thermometers like a thermapen to make sure your poultry is cooked properly for taste and safety.

I prefer the original recipe as listed above, but other ingredients may be add if desired (suggestions listed below).....
2 TBS worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon white pepper per taste
1/2 tsp ground celery seed

=====================================

Patio Daddio's Big Bird Bath
While this amount is for a turkey, I have in the past used a reduced amount for chicken.
Click Here For Link

Recipes from BBQ Previously posted

Poultry Brine

1 Gallon Water
.75 Cup Kosher Salt
2/3 Cup Sugar
.75 Cup Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon tarragon, thyme, and black pepper
¼ cup olive oil
1 Lemon (squeeze in juice and toss the lemon haves in)

Poultry Brine

1 gal water
1.5 cup Kosher salt
1/2 cup white vinegar
3 Tbl brown sugar
1 tbl pickle spice
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp tarragon

Heat the water bring to a low simmer add salt & sugar once dissolved remove from heat add the spices once it has cooled ad the vinegar brine 1 hr LB

Herb Brined Turkey or Chicken

1 Gallon (4 liters) Water
1 Cup (225 Grams) Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup (125 grams) Sugar
(this is all you need but I add the following on their advice in the book):
1 bunch of fresh Tarragon
1 bunch of Fresh Parsley
2 bay leaves
1 head of Garlic- Halved Horizontally
1 Onion- sliced
3tbsp/30 grams black pepper- lightly crushed
2 lemons- Halved (give a good squeeze as you toss then in)

Should be noted that any aromatic can be thrown in - Celery, Carrot, garlic, any herbs (stems are fine) are all good and the more the merrier.

combine all brine ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve all salts and sugars. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp. then put in fridge until chilled.

Add bird to the brine and weight it down with a plate or something that will keep the whole thing completely submerged for the appropriate brine time (see below).

Remove from brine, pat dry and let rest uncovered in the fridge for 2-24 hours. This is important as it forms the "pellicle" (tacky surface) that binds to the smoke flavor)

Brine Times:

Boneless Chicken Breast (8oz/225 grams): 2 hrs
2lb chicken (1 Kilo) 4-6 hours
3-4lb chicken (1.5-2 kilos) 8-12 hours

Last edited:
If you like crisp skin I prefer not to brine chicken. Instead I injection marinade. Just use your marinade or brine of choice. With a spatchcocked chicken you can inject the entire bird without any injection holes through the skin. I also always cook a chicken hot about 350 degrees. Skin comes out perfect with good smoke flavor and crispy skin.

My standard brine for chicken is...

1 gallon water
1/2 cup Morton Kosher Salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire or Soy
2-3 tablespoons of whatever rub you will use.

Heat it to dissolve the sugar and salt, then chill. I brine a whole bird overnight

Cornell Chicken is one of my favorites... But a must to brine for 24 hours for best results.
Recipe for Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce (enough for 10 halves):
http://cornell-classic.univcomm.cornell.edu/xsearch/?id=132&tab=facts
Dr. Robert C. Baker, creator of chicken nuggets and Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce (Roadside Chicken).

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper per taste
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add the oil and beat again. Add other ingredients and stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes.
store in the refrigerator

In a large bowl, whisk the egg white and yolk together with a balloon whisk or a hand mixer. Add the oil and whisk until it gets thick, and bright yellow, for about 2 minutes. Now whisk in the vinegar, salt, seasoning, and pepper.

Stab the chicken skin several times with a fork or knife so the marinade can get in and so fat can get out when cooking. This will help make the skin crispy. Marinate the chicken for 3 to 4 hours in ziploc bags in the fridge. Turn the bag every hour or so, so that all surfaces get well coated.

Set up the grill for 2-zone cooking. Try to get the indirect side in the 225°F range. Place the chicken over the indirect zone and close the lid. Every 5 to 10 minutes baste with the marinade, turn the chickens on both sides, then rotate the chickens every 20 minutes so they cook evenly.

Cook about 60 to 90 minutes until the internal temperature of each part is 150°F and stop basting. Exact time will depend on how thick the meat is, and how often you basted. Then move them over the hot direct heat side of the grill, skin side down. Remove the lid, and crisp the skin without burning it for 10 to 15 minutes. turn and heat for about 5 minutes more. This step is important to finish the cooking of the meat, crisp the skins, and make sure everything is sterile since it contains raw egg. When the skin is crisp and the internal temp is 165°F, take the meat off. Even if it is a bit red in there when you cut in, it is safe at 165°F. You cannot judge a chicken's safety by the color of the juices! I strongly recommend you use a fast read digital thermometers like a thermapen to make sure your poultry is cooked properly for taste and safety.

I prefer the original recipe as listed above, but other ingredients may be add if desired (suggestions listed below).....
2 TBS worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon white pepper per taste
1/2 tsp ground celery seed

I grew up in Rochester NY and this was a staple at many social functions.
One addition/modification we continue to do is about an hour or two before we plan on grilling, we add a beer to the brine/marinade then cook it as described.

Good Stuff...

My standard brine for chicken is...

1 gallon water
1/2 cup Morton Kosher Salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire or Soy
2-3 tablespoons of whatever rub you will use.

Heat it to dissolve the sugar and salt, then crhill. I brine a whole bird overnight

Just did this yesterday. Maybe the best tasting chicken I've done yet. The only changes I made were to add 4-5 tablespoons of a rub I had on hand and the juice of 2 limes. Otherwise everything else the same as you have it. I was cooking legs and thighs so I only let them sit for 4 to 5 hours. Rinsed off each piece thoroughly then let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours before grilling.

Back