silly question here goes

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Drum smokers: hanging ribs or laying them sideways in a rib rack.....does it matter?

Not a bit, the only thing hanging will do is over cook the ribs on the bottom and will allow you to cook more racks in a given space.

Not a bit, the only thing hanging will do is over cook the ribs on the bottom and will allow you to cook more racks in a given space.

I suspected the space saved is a plus but being closer to the heat (hanging) would definitely put some char on the rack. But no real advantage otherwise. Thank you.

Although not offered, I take option C- lay them flat on the grate beginning to end. I can do 3 racks of SL cut on one 22.5 grate (4 if they are good friends)- I don't cook more than that usually.

I'm not opposed to hanging- the PBC users will tell you you get a bit more color on the bottom most bone- but it's not "char". (well - it could char- but you have problems if you go that far. If you are a "foiler" or use that dumba$$ 3/2/1 method, you will have to replace the grate and stack them up anyway.
Not a big fan of rib racks- they are a PITA to clean and your rub can stick to the rack and pull off. Again -if you foil -3/2/1 yadda yadda- you will have to pull the racks and stack on the grate anyway. See where I'm going?

yep- grate all the way.

Although not offered, I take option C- lay them flat on the grate beginning to end. I can do 3 racks of SL cut on one 22.5 grate (4 if they are good friends)- I don't cook more than that usually.

I'm not opposed to hanging- the PBC users will tell you you get a bit more color on the bottom most bone- but it's not "char". (well - it could char- but you have problems if you go that far. If you are a "foiler" or use that dumba$$ 3/2/1 method, you will have to replace the grate and stack them up anyway.
Not a big fan of rib racks- they are a PITA to clean and your rub can stick to the rack and pull off. Again -if you foil -3/2/1 yadda yadda- you will have to pull the racks and stack on the grate anyway. See where I'm going?

yep- grate all the way.

I have a friend with a couple of drums and he never hangs the ribs. It's just a curiosity more than anything else. I will try it and probably do some chickens as well.

I like to hang them and cook at 300+, they cook evenly and as the fat and juices drip down the sides it self bastes the Ribs, sort of like rotisserie. If I'm going to wrap I don't think it matters that much, one of the reasons I like cooking on a drum is so I can hang Ribs, Poultry and Pork Loins.

I usually only cook 2 or 3 racks and could easily cook them on the grate, I'd rather hang them so for me it isn't about increasing capacity although I think it is cool I could probably cook 12 racks or more easily if I wanted to.

As long as the end of the Ribs have about 3 to 4 inches of clearance they don't burn and if I'm cooking untrimmed slabs the tips are going to be over cooked regardless. I'm not a comp guy but a lot of comp teams hang their ribs at least for part of the cook, if they didn't think it made a difference they wouldn't do it.

To each his/her own.

Hookem and cookem

Uy0nGjd.jpg

Last edited:

I guess no one has told my ribs about this :-D

I hang and love the results. In my Hunsaker drum the top of the drum is a little hotter than the bottom, so the ribs hang with the bigger bones towards the top and they are done beautifully all the way through.

I do lay them on the grate once in foil.

Mine either :wink:

In my Hunsaker drum the top of the drum is a little hotter than the bottom.
Hung a Pork Loin in the Hunsaker last week and the top of the Loin where it was hooked had a higher IT than the other end closest to the Vortex Fire Basket. I guess science :noidea:

I hang and love the results. In my Hunsaker drum the top of the drum is a little hotter than the bottom, so the ribs hang with the bigger bones towards the top and they are done beautifully all the way through.

I do lay them on the grate once in foil.

So you don't hang till done? Why?

I like to hang them and cook at 300+, they cook evenly and as the fat and juices drip down the sides it self bastes the Ribs, sort of like rotisserie. If I'm going to wrap I don't think it matters that much, one of the reasons I like cooking on a drum is so I can hang Ribs, Poultry and Pork Loins.

I usually only cook 2 or 3 racks and could easily cook them on the grate, I'd rather hang them so for me it isn't about increasing capacity although I think it is cool I could probably cook 12 racks or more easily if I wanted to.

As long as the end of the Ribs have about 3 to 4 inches of clearance they don't burn and if I'm cooking untrimmed slabs the tips are going to be over cooked regardless. I'm not a comp guy but a lot of comp teams hang their ribs at least for part of the cook, if they didn't think it made a difference they wouldn't do it.

To each his/her own.

Hookem and cookem

Uy0nGjd.jpg

that looks great

So you don't hang till done? Why?

Two reasons...

1. They will likely fall off the hook. When i wrap the bone above the hook is already pulling away from the rest of the rack a little.

2. This tim elf year I only cook "BBQ" at competitions, so I use the foil to get some extra flavor into the ribs.

Back