Need some stick burning advice

mrpigs

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to be purchasing an Old Country Over/under in the near future.
I've never ran a stick burner, and the only knowledge I have of them is stuff that I've been reading on the internet.
I know I'm going to have a ton of questions for you all, so I thought I'd start with a few:

Is it ok to burn wood with bark on or could that produce a bitter smoke?

Is it ok to add unlit splits during a cook or should I burn them down to coals before adding so I don't get more than thin blue smoke?

I have a ton of wild cherry wood that I've cut and split last winter, can I use it next year after it's seasoned? I've heard wild cherry can also produce a bitter smoke, but I've used it in my kettle with no problem.

Again, I'm sure I'm going to have lots more questions, I've never studied up on any thing that has more contradictions than Bbq it seems.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Bark is Fine. If you preheat your splits they ignite faster - I don't do this cuz mine are vertical and I have no way to preheat splits. When you add a Log it'll white smoke for a few minutes - that's fine.
I don't know about the Wild Cherry wood- I'd think it's Fine. Usually about 1 year for wood to season.

Last edited:
I’m my experience, I have better, cleaner fire with less temp swings if I feed the beast with smaller pieces every 30 or 45 mins......just my take. Also I do NOT like bark, seems I’ve had a couple bad experiences.....just my .02 cents. Have fun!!

I have a lot of wild cherry and it's so mild that the seasoning time isn't long, 3 months tops. I cut a tree down in April and I am already smoking with it. Smells sweet like a smokey perfume. You will need to combine with oak or a stronger hardwood. No need to preheat those cherry splits either. It's good stuff man. Those ribs will be real pretty

I’m my experience, I have better, cleaner fire with less temp swings if I feed the beast with smaller pieces every 30 or 45 mins......just my take. Also I do NOT like bark, seems I’ve had a couple bad experiences.....just my .02 cents. Have fun!!

Thanks, man.

Feeding small pieces sooner makes sense to me.

And the chunks that I buy from HD don't have any bark on them.

I have a lot of wild cherry and it's so mild that the seasoning time isn't long, 3 months tops. I cut a tree down in April and I am already smoking with it. Smells sweet like a smokey perfume. You will need to combine with oak or a stronger hardwood. No need to preheat those cherry splits either. It's good stuff man. Those ribs will be real pretty

Thank you!

I'll try mixing with some oak or hickory

I'm going to be purchasing an Old Country Over/under in the near future.
I've never ran a stick burner, and the only knowledge I have of them is stuff that I've been reading on the internet.
I know I'm going to have a ton of questions for you all, so I thought I'd start with a few:

Is it ok to burn wood with bark on or could that produce a bitter smoke?

Is it ok to add unlit splits during a cook or should I burn them down to coals before adding so I don't get more than thin blue smoke?

I have a ton of wild cherry wood that I've cut and split last winter, can I use it next year after it's seasoned? I've heard wild cherry can also produce a bitter smoke, but I've used it in my kettle with no problem.

Again, I'm sure I'm going to have lots more questions, I've never studied up on any thing that has more contradictions than Bbq it seems.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Wild cherry happens to be the ONLY wood that Bogarts BBQ of St Louis uses. I've only had regular cherry to smoke with and I love it. Bogarts has gotten so popular that Zagat, the gourmet restaurant rater, has taken notice

Wild cherry happens to be the ONLY wood that Bogarts BBQ of St Louis uses. I've only had regular cherry to smoke with and I love it. Bogarts has gotten so popular that Zagat, the gourmet restaurant rater, has taken notice

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Going to try some straight wild cherry, will post the results.

Back