Suggestions on Smoker

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
Hi guys new to the forum and looking for some advice. I'm in the market for a smoker and don't know what to buy. My budget is around $400 give or take a few. I've been looking at the WSM, pellet grills, and offset smokers any and all ideas and suggestions are welcome.

The WSM is a very good way to get started and not so expensive that you can't keep it if you decide to go to a stick burner. What Brad said about the Old Country smokers is good and at their price point they are well worth the money. The biggest difference is at the price, the WSM is much better quality.

Start with the WSM and save your money until you have about $1000 and then contact Craig Bell at: bellfab@sbcglobal.net

Good luck with your research, Joe.

Hi guys new to the forum and looking for some advice. I'm in the market for a smoker and don't know what to buy. My budget is around $400 give or take a few. I've been looking at the WSM, pellet grills, and offset smokers any and all ideas and suggestions are welcome.

you gave us a budget..good. now, tell us how many ppl you plan to cook for and what types of food you're planning to cook and what kind of cookers you have experience with. not trying to be rude, but price point is only part of the equation when recommending a cooker.

you gave us a budget..good. now, tell us how many ppl you plan to cook for and what types of food you're planning to cook and what kind of cookers you have experience with. not trying to be rude, but price point is only part of the equation when recommending a cooker.

It's a family of 7 I wanna do brisket, ribs, and pulled pork mostly and only have experience with regular charcoal and gas grills

Backwoods Chubby 3400 for $699, but it's the only smoker in their lineup that's not Made in the USA. Looks nice.

WSM 22.5 is a great smoker to start out on, very user friendly and the only thing that will hold you back from turning out excellent BBQ is yourself, for the price they are hard to beat and if taken care of will last a lifetime.

No cooker on the planet can make better tasting food than a WSM. For a family of 7 plus a few more all you would ever need is a 22.5 WSM.

I've had my WSM for probably 3 years - my first dedicated smoker (well, other than a POS electric that got 1 season of use a decade or so ago). I haven't regretted the purchase one bit and I'm still not even thinking about an "upgrade", even as I've started smoking much more than I used to.

Last edited:
WSM 22.5 is a great smoker to start out on, very user friendly and the only thing that will hold you back from turning out excellent BBQ is yourself, for the price they are hard to beat and if taken care of will last a lifetime.

I agree....at your price point, the WSM is the best answer, especially if you have no experience with an off set.

WSM 22.5 gets my vote. Easy temp control, ample room, small foot print, easy cleanup (foil your pan real good), great quality and fuel efficient. I can easily do 6 pork butts on it, maybe 8 smaller ones cramped in. Here's 3 average size butts from last weekend (left the lower rack out).

Attachments

• butt.jpg
    butt.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 76
Back