THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HunkyDory

Full Fledged Farker
I have a Box Elder Maple volunteering in my yard they are also known as ash-leaved maple and maple ash. The scientific name seems to be Acer negundo if wikipedia is to be believed. It has lots of limbs that need to be trimmed. My question is, are the trimmings worth keeping for smoking wood? According the the forums's onsite search some Bretheren have used it for fire wood. Just wondering how the smoke is.

You could use it for smoking but it would be one of my last choices. It is in the maple family but when I burn it seems to have an off flavor smell to it. Not bad just not great either.

They are such junk trees, I wouldn't bother growing one. And they rot super fast. My dad has a ton of them on his property and I don't think I've ever seen one season faster than it rotted away to nothing.

Yeah, Like the others said, it's got a burning leaf type smell to it and is not good for much....although if you have sawlogs still you should have them cut into 2 inch slabs , it's really a beautiful wood under epoxy in tables or bartops. Has red bloodlines throughout the heartwood. Nice sized slabs can fetch solid money through craigslist sales after a few years of air drying.

2vx2knl.jpg

Yeah, Like the others said, it's got a burning leaf type smell to it and is not good for much....although if you have sawlogs still you should have them cut into 2 inch slabs , it's really a beautiful wood under epoxy in tables or bartops. Has red bloodlines that transition from sapwood to heartwood

Agree with this. Since its smaller pieces find a wood turner -- can make really attractive items

Yeah, Like the others said, it's got a burning leaf type smell to it and is not good for much....although if you have sawlogs still you should have them cut into 2 inch slabs , it's really a beautiful wood under epoxy in tables or bartops. Has red bloodlines throughout the heartwood. Nice sized slabs can fetch solid money through craigslist sales after a few years of air drying.

2vx2knl.jpg

Yep. Makes for some sexy grips on a gun. One of my favorites is Box Elder burl.

Back