THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mrwhale

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jonah
Have any of my dear Brethren successfully and satisfactorily finished a brisket in the oven?

I smoked a flat until 162, (I had to leave for work) let it rest and want to finish it on Sunday.

I seek the advice of the wise and more experienced than me.

Thanks in advance!

May y'all be blessed!

I'm sure the purists will say "no way" but it's a fantastic way to enjoy smoking a brisket and getting some sleep.

I'll smoke for 5-6 hours starting in the evening.... wrap and place in oven about 11:00pm at roughly 210*-220*. Usually probe tender about 8:00am the next morning. Vent it (open wrap) for 15-30 minutes and place back in warm oven to hold until serving time. Results are great IMHO.

So are you saying the brisket has already been cooked partially to 162 and is now being cooled in the fridge to be finished on another day? If that is the route I'd have the brisket double wrapped in foil with a little water/au jus and heat in an oven at 300 degrees till it rose in temp into the 190's and then start checking for probe doneness. Takes about 2.5-3hrs (give or take).

If just using the oven to finish the cooking coming right off the smoker the process isn't a ton different, but the feel is slightly different for probing for doneness. A lot of time a reheated doesn't probe as smoothly as a continued cook on a brisket.

Some popular Q joints reheat briskets as part of their process every time. Salt Lick cooks to a temp short of being done and then finished all the day of serving. It's one way to pretty much never run out of brisket since there are always some in the cooler with only a few hours to finish.

So are you saying the brisket has already been cooked partially to 162 and is now being cooled in the fridge to be finished on another day? If that is the route I'd have the brisket double wrapped in foil with a little water/au jus and heat in an oven at 300 degrees till it rose in temp into the 190's and then start checking for probe doneness. Takes about 2.5-3hrs (give or take).

If just using the oven to finish the cooking coming right off the smoker the process isn't a ton different, but the feel is slightly different for probing for doneness. A lot of time a reheated doesn't probe as smoothly as a continued cook on a brisket.

Some popular Q joints reheat briskets as part of their process every time. Salt Lick cooks to a temp short of being done and then finished all the day of serving. It's one way to pretty much never run out of brisket since there are always some in the cooler with only a few hours to finish.

Yes, partially cooked, refrigerated, then finished.

Thank you!

I wrap my briskets after they are past the stall. By that time they have achieved a good smoke flavor. Once, we had a huge storm pop up after I had wrapped a brisket. Not crazy about tending a fire in a severe rainstorm. I pulled it and finished it in the oven at 275* till probe tender. Came out like a charm.

I also use the oven for holding a brisket if it gets done early and needs to be held longer than 4 hours in my Cambro. My oven will go as low as 150* so it works great. I do put a small pan of water in the oven just to keep moisture levels up.

Like Jrogers, I've finished several pork butts in the oven. Usually due to weather related issues. They've turned all turned out great. I don't see why it wouldn't work the same with brisket.

Good luck!

Good stuff. Definitely add some liquid to the foil when reheating. I've found that works better. Or you could reheat in a full aluminum pan covered in foil as well.

I have to do something similar, so I'm going to clarify quickly...

I am driving 2.5 hours away tomorrow around 1 in the afternoon, and I wanted to bring a Pork Shoulder. I was planning on putting 4 or so hours of smoke on it tonight, then wake up around 4 this morning and putting it in the oven until we leave, putting it the cooler to rest until we eat at 5:30. Do you think this will work?

Have any of my dear Brethren successfully and satisfactorily finished a brisket in the oven?

Do it all of the time. Try to get 3-4 hours of smoke then put it in a foil pan, pour in a can of Dr Pepper (regular, never diet), cover in foil and stick it in the oven at 220 then go to bed.

However, my family likes super tender, not too smokey brisket. This method achieves that goal.

Well, here is what we got. May not look as good as a full on smoked brisket but it is a pretty darn good runner up. Thank you all for your input. I went with Jason TQ's method advice and it came out great!

Attachments

• IMG_5500.jpg
    IMG_5500.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_5501.jpg
    IMG_5501.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 161
lol... No... I am Cooling it. I cooked it in the smoker at 275 and its resting in the oven ---- cooling.... mumbled breath "at 220 or lower."

Back