MAK 1 Star is now sold, new MAK or Yoder YS640?

Groundhog66

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Tim
I listed my MAK 1 Star for sale last night, and it sold within the hour. I'm contemplating on upgrading to the new MAK 1Star, it is bigger and better, but I'm also considering a Yoder. I have a local dealer that I can get a Yoder YS640 for $1600 out the door. Can any Yoder owners list some likes and dislikes, it will definitely help me make up my mind.

Comp cart is a must if you will be moving it around much at all, added benefit of the cart is the nice stainless shelves. Adjustable damper is nice to have to be able to create different temp zones, but there are no markings to tell you where to set it for even heat. The thing is built like a tank so no real worries about durability.

More specific questions would be easier to answer, anything in particular you are worried about with the Yoder?

Comp cart is a must if you will be moving it around much at all, added benefit of the cart is the nice stainless shelves. Adjustable damper is nice to have to be able to create different temp zones, but there are no markings to tell you where to set it for even heat. The thing is built like a tank so no real worries about durability.

More specific questions would be easier to answer, anything in particular you are worried about with the Yoder?

I won't be moving it much, but the comp cart sure would be nice when I have to. My worry is that it's too dang heavy to hoist into the back of a truck, it'll need to be trailered everywhere.

No specific questions really, just getting a feel for how folks are liking them, and what their beefs are (if any).

Here is BigLegga's comp cart next to my Battle Box for reference. The Yoder is built like a tank for sure.

295edj4.jpg

Love my yoder. Wasn't happy with fuel consumption on bbq delight but since changing to lumberjack that has changed.

I wish i had the comp cart but couldn't see spending that extra money. The basic wheels do suck. I have transported it though twice now without issues. We just use 2 wooden ramps to push it into the truck and to roll down to get out. Just have to make sure you are on concrete or blacktop. Doesn't move it grass or stones.

I would upgrade to the stainless shelf's and the 2 new piece deflector plate.

Love my yoder. Wasn't happy with fuel consumption on bbq delight but since changing to lumberjack that has changed.

I wish i had the comp cart but couldn't see spending that extra money. The basic wheels do suck. I have transported it though twice now without issues. We just use 2 wooden ramps to push it into the truck and to roll down to get out. Just have to make sure you are on concrete or blacktop. Doesn't move it grass or stones.

I would upgrade to the stainless shelf's and the 2 new piece deflector plate.

The place I'm going to look, has a couple with black comp carts...gonna be hard to say no. By the time you add the SS shelves, it's only like another $400 or so to just get the comp cart, and that includes the SS shelves. I know it's a bit of overkill for the most part, but not having to worry about moving it around is a huge plus.

What about weight, I'm assuming it's too heavy to lift into the bed of a pickup?

The 2 piece diffuser looks like a nice mod, is it purely for fire pit access, or does it serve another purpose?

I've never worked with a damper like the Yoder before, does it function well?

The place I'm going to look, has a couple with black comp carts...gonna be hard to say no. By the time you add the SS shelves, it's only like another $400 or so to just get the comp cart, and that includes the SS shelves. I know it's a bit of overkill for the most part, but not having to worry about moving it around is a huge plus.

What about weight, I'm assuming it's too heavy to lift into the bed of a pickup?

The 2 piece diffuser looks like a nice mod, is it purely for fire pit access, or does it serve another purpose?

I've never worked with a damper like the Yoder before, does it function well?

Yea i wish i would of looked into it more for $400.00 i would of upgraded to the comp cart.

For weight its heavy. Maybe with 4 big men you could lift it into a truck but i don't know. Finding somewhere to grab would be an issue as well. The ramps work great and just throw them in truck when driving.

The 1 piece deflector is heavy and in order to remove it you must remove all the grates which is a pain. I don't use mine to grill but if you wanted to reverse sear you would literally have to remove all the food and grates to be able to achieve hi temps. With the 2 piece you could just remove the door and go, leaving all the grates inside. Same with cleanup.

I have had great success with the dampener getting temps even from side to side. When i first got it i did some testing and then scratched the handle at different marks so i knew where to have it set for even temps side to side.

YS640 with comp cart weighs 418 pounds, Beast. The 2 piece diffuser is designed for direct grilling with the use of grill grates, the bonus is you have easier access for cleanup.

I currently have a MAK 1 star (1 year old as of July 3rd 2015) and a Yoder YS 640 Comp Cart. Yoder with the diffuser plate door WITHOUT A DOUBT. not that it cooks better, the are comparable, but the versatility and quantity of food you can cook pushes it over the edge. In my opinion there is no question. I love my MAK but can do a lot more with the Yoder.

edit:
Funny this topic should come up today. Just for comparisons sack. About once every 6 months I do a HOT burn of my grills just to sort of clean em up and burn off excess stuff, etc., last weekend I cooked 4 briskets on my Yoder and 4 pork butts on the MAK and had not done that burn in about 6 months or so and thought it was time so I am doing that as we speak. I always crank em up as high as they will go for about 30-45 minutes. They were about done as i was writing this post. The grills are side by side, in Oklahoma, about 90 degrees temp right now - Results:

MAK = 465
YODER = 600

Lots of different options with results like that, if that factors into your decisions or not.

Great feedback guys, much appreciated!

I have a feeling I'll have regret, if I don't go all out and get the comp cart. Like I said, I won't be transporting it much at this point in time, but when I do, it'll be SO much easier.

Tim you'll be glad you got the cart plus it has the SS shelves, I think the split diffuser is a must get as well. Can't wait to see your first cook on it :thumb:

Tim you'll be glad you got the cart plus it has the SS shelves, I think the split diffuser is a must get as well. Can't wait to see your first cook on it :thumb:

I'm almost wondering if it'll be too dang big for the patio, too many other cookers back there right now.

I'm almost wondering if it'll be too dang big for the patio, too many other cookers back there right now.
It would be too big for mine that's why I was interested in the MAK, small footprint but still can cook up a lot of food.

Back