Help with new MAK 1 Star

MidTNDawg

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Andrew
First of all, I want to say a big thank you to this community - I lurked and learned a lot over the last few months while trying to decide which pellet grill to get. It quickly became apparent that a MAK would be the best for me, so I finally committed to a 1 Star when the Black Friday sale came along. I also added the mobile/Wifi for convenience.

The grill arrived last week and I assembled it, did the quick first burn, and then did my first cook of a simple fatty - man was it delicious.

After making sure the firepot was clean, I loaded the hopper with Bear Mountain bold bbq pellets and started my second cook - a pork butt. I followed rwalter's suggestion of low and slow at 210 on the upper rack. I started it at 11pm and then went to bed. Woke up the next morning and saw that the MAK was happily billowing. Checked my phone at 7:30am and the butt was at 152. The IT hadn't budged much by 9am, so I decided to raise the grill to 225. By 11am, the butt was still only 162ish. At this point, I started to spritz every hour. I began to worry that it might not finish in enough time to rest before dinner, so I decided to increase the grill to 250. This seemed to nudge it along nicely - by 1:45, the IT was up to 181. I decided to use my Thermapen to verify the IT, and it matched the MAK's reading and told me that parts of the butt were pretty tender but generally it wasn't there yet. At that point, I had to run an errand but planned to keep an eye on my phone (not while driving, of course). Then, about 2:15, my wife called saying the MAK was beeping loudly with a Flameout message on the pellet boss. I had her turn it off and put the butt in the oven at 250. When I got home, I checked the firepot, and there really wasn't that much ash in it but it was full of unburned pellets. Checked the hopper and there were still plenty of pellets in it. The butt ended up okay, not quite as tender as hoped but definitely had a great flavor and left me determined to try again.

So where I am hoping for help is figuring out what might have led to the flameout. Like I said, there didn't seem to be enough ash buildup to cause an issue - surely 15 hours isn't too long of a cook? I used Bear Mtn pellets, which I seem to recall aren't particularly ashy. There wasn't anything blocking the fan, I didn't raise the temp a lot right before, the firepot was definitely clean to start, it wasn't a windy day. Hopefully it wasn't because I left my house (and router that the MAK was connected to)? I suppose it's also possible it was just a fluke?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone on here is awesome - I've already learned so much from y'all, so sorry to ask for more. Thank you!!

Interested in hearing what others think. I don’t see why it would have done that under the scenario you described. I can see it if you are running hotter and drop the temp down (especially in the summer) but cruising at 250?, shouldn’t have happened

I just re read your post and with it being new you should have the most current version! I’d still give them a call!

Email or call mak they will send you an upgraded version for your board! You just plug it in board and upload it then mail it back to them no charges! I had to do it recently when I had a flame out on a long cook! Super customer service!

Last edited:
Strange to have a flameout at that stage of the cook.

I’ve got nothin’ call MAK and see if they have any ideas...

I traded emails with Dennis at MAK. He suspects that, for some reason, I experienced a "low or brittle" fire in the pot that was smothered by fresh pellets being pushed in. He said it's hard to say why that might have happened, but that I should keep doing what I'm doing and see if it happens again. Here's hoping it was a fluke...thanks again!

Out of curiosity how much pellets were left in the hopper when it shut off?

Out of curiosity I looked at weather underground for your area and it showed Nashville which was 42° with 10 to 15 mph winds when you put it on at 11PM. The temps started dropping into the thirties at about 4AM and was down to 37°f by 2pm. The winds were also 10-15MPH with gusts up to 30mph from 3am until noon. I imagine it would burn a lot more pellets than usual in those conditions.

That is strange, and definitely hoping that Dennis’ theory is correct. With the latest firmware, I haven’t had even the slightest of hiccups in quite some time. MAK has their controller and fire management very dialed in :)

The cook was actually Sat. night (12th) into Sunday (13th). You can see on your graph that it was cold but it didn't get windy on Sunday until after I was done cooking. I added a full 20 bag of the Bear Mtn pellets when I started, and I would estimate there was probably 4-5 pounds left in the hopper after the flameout.

The cook was actually Sat. night (12th) into Sunday (13th). You can see on your graph that it was cold but it didn't get windy on Sunday until after I was done cooking. I added a full 20 bag of the Bear Mtn pellets when I started, and I would estimate there was probably 4-5 pounds left in the hopper after the flameout.

See what I get for assuming! :doh:

Actually, I was impressed that you were hardcore enough to smoke in those conditions.

Back