Discouraged

lacajunman

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I don't understand what's going on. I smoked a brisket on my big poppa UDS a while back. After 7 hours, I burned through a whole basket of fuel (kbb). I thought it might have been a bad bag. I bought a 2 pack at SAMs yesterday and thought I'd try again. I lit my coals at 6:30 am, 15 coals in a chimney starter, got my temp up, put the butt on and closed the lid. Did not open for 6.5 hrs when my internal reached 160. I'm almost out of coals. WTF. how are some of you getting 10-15 hrs out of a basket of coals. So far in two smokes, I got 7 hours on a basket each time. I must be doing something wrong. My excitement for my UDS is almost gone. Help.

Charcoal basket is tiny build a bigger basket use a Weber 22" charcoal grate for the base and 2 12X 24 pieces of Expanded metal. 4 3"carriage bolts 8 nuts & fender washers for the legs. a 5.00 walmart pizza pan for the ash catcher.

I built my UDS with a BPS kit as well and I get similar burn times out of a basket. I thought I would get a longer burn time as well.

According to their forums, lots of people say they get 10-15 hrs easy. This is aggravating.

What temp are you running? Mine typically settles in around 275. If I could get it down to 225 it would probably burn a lot longer.

I was thinking of making some sort of divider for the fire basket so the fire didn't spread as quickly. Could also start with fewer lit coals.

Try a different brand of charcoal. My experience way back when I stopped using KBB for smoking in my WSM is that it burned way too fast and made too much ash. That's just my experience with it though. Some still swear by it. I first learned charcoal smoking from my Dad, but even he said it has changed over the years and has since quit using it.

What temp are you running? Mine typically settles in around 275. If I could get it down to 225 it would probably burn a lot longer.

I was thinking of making some sort of divider for the fire basket so the fire didn't spread as quickly. Could also start with fewer lit coals.

I'm keeping the temps between 240 and 260.

Try a different brand of charcoal. My experience way back when I stopped using KBB for smoking in my WSM is that it burned way too fast and made too much ash. That's just my experience with it though. Some still swear by it. I first learned charcoal smoking from my Dad, but even he said it has changed over the years and has since quit using it.

I have been using KBB. Either comp or blue bag. What brand do you prefer?

I use a WSM, but I found that the KBB gave up after about 7-8 hours. After I switched to Royal Oak Lump, I've never had another problem. The lump gives me much longer cook times and uses way less fuel.

Maybe try some hardwood lump (Wicked Good or the like), should increase the burn time.

Size of basket/ bag size

What is the size of your basket did it hold the hole bag of charcoal. What size of bags of charcoal did you buy. The hotter the temp. you run the UDS at the more it will use. My basket is 16" across x 12" high. I only fill it 1/2 full for most cooks and have lots to reuse next cook. Just a couple of things to look at first. Winners do not give in they keep going untill they win. Every cook is a little different.

I agree with bludawg. Build a bigger basket. I just checked their website and it does look small. What the size of your basket. My first uds basket is 12" tall and I wrapped it around a 20 lbs propane tank to get the diameter size. I have had 17 hours at 225-250 before I shut it down and I think it could have went for another 3 or 4. On my second build I built a shorter and wider basket so I would have better heat distribution so I could raise the basket and use it for grilling also. It works great for grilling and shorter smokes but I would never get the time out of it for a brisket cook. I have used royal oak briquettes and lump, mainly because that's all I can get here, and have better burn times with the lump.
Never really tried any other brands but I have no complaints. I think a taller basket would solve your problem. Maybe just get some expanded metal and extend the height of your original basket. You can just use rebar wire to attach it.

If it's any consolation, the pork butt looks awesome at this point. Pics when I'm done.

Back