THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roguejim

is Blowin Smoke!
I'll be building my UDS right after Christmas when I get my Big Poppa kit, but I'm thinking ahead, and am wondering about portability. My property is largely grass, and gravel. Any simple ideas for wheels, and mounting? Photos? Thanks.

I was going to suggest 3 casters like I did but since you said you had grass and gravel I'd suggest bigger pneumatic tires... two of them and have it where you can tip it back and move it like you would a dolly.

I've thought about a wheeled set-up with my WSM 22.5. My initial thoughts are to find an outdoor table with wheels or build one using threaded pipe.

UDS portability

I just use my two wheel hand cart. Money well spent for you can use cart for all kinds of things as to invest in a wheel system for use only under your UDS. Just my .02$ worth DouG

I have 2 casters welded on bottom and one foot so it don't roll when loading meat etc.
For grass I used a 2 wheel hand truck dolly like mentioned above.

camo30.jpg

I have a shaft mounted to the bottom of mine with 10" wagon wheels on each end. Opposite the wheels is a very simple leg that I bent out of 1/8" x 1.5" flat steel and bolted on.

Works pretty much like a gasser- handle cut out of the side table to raise it up and wheel it around. Bigger wheels make it easier to get over stones & cracks in the driveway. Light enough to move it with one hand.

I just use my two wheel hand cart.
Hand dolley, wheel my UDS, heavy garbage cans, refrigerators, washing machines, all sorts of dual use with a hand dolley.
Get one with big pneumatic tires, as suggested.
I use mine all the time, my wife has one right now in the car in case she needs it for her client.
(organizer, moving file cabinets, plants, furniture, who knows.)

I use a 2 wheel folding dolly to move my uds as well as trash cans, etc. and range bag and other stuff.

I have four swivel castors on mine. Rolls fine on concrete and ok on grass. Wind kicked up one day and blew it off my patio and it fell over loaded with meat. Sucked pretty bad.

What about just a two wheeled dolly to get ya where you want to go ?

Yeah, a dolly is the obvious answer, but it wouldn't suck to be able to quickly move the UDS around without dragging out a dolly. Having said that, I'll most likely go the "dolly" route unless I happen to come across a set of free, or really cheap pneumatic tires.

i bought myself one of those from craigslist....BEST PURCHASE EVER.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-4-Wheel-Polyolefin-Casters-Capacity/dp/B003E7EKPW"]E.R. Wagner 2F00 Powder Coated 4-Wheel 55 Gallon Drum Dolly with Solid Polyolefin Wheel Casters, 1000 lbs Capacity Range, 6-1/2" Height: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31EUhy8Rn5L.@@AMEPARAM@@31EUhy8Rn5L[/ame]

I have a shaft mounted to the bottom of mine with 10" wagon wheels on each end. Opposite the wheels is a very simple leg that I bent out of 1/8" x 1.5" flat steel and bolted on.

Works pretty much like a gasser- handle cut out of the side table to raise it up and wheel it around. Bigger wheels make it easier to get over stones & cracks in the driveway. Light enough to move it with one hand.

jim, I would go with something like this or the hand dolly. I am actually leaning towards something like this myself.

Back