Humphrey's battle box issues.

Jfine

Reaction score
I bought my battlebox in March of 2014, drove 4hrs to get one having never seen one. Everything I had read on here was glowing reviews. The cooker is wonderful, love the way it works. However, I noticed this spring that the paint around the firebox door and bottom of cook chamber was bubbling and rusting under the seal. I emailed them asking why this was happening and was told that I must have had it hot enough to ruin to 1200deg paint they use. The cooker was never even seen 450 deg. It's been kept in my garage and fever had a drop of rain on it. Was told to wire brush it and paint myself. I wasn't to pleased but figured not a huge deal and let it drop and enjoyed the cooker all summer.
Sunday I dove into a project of constructing a cart with some shelving to elevate and make transporting the cooker easier than just plain caster. When I layed the cooker over to measure the mounts on the bottom I was floored to see the entire bottom rusted with bubbled paint. After further inspection the paint is bubbled and flaking around the entire cooking chamber under the seal.
Has anyone else seen this with their humphrey's? I'm not quite sure what to do, I love the cooker and expect minor wear to occur but this really makes me mad. I spent big a lot of money on the cooker and I have taken care of it. After the email I received this spring I'm not even going to bother sending them another, it will just result in me being told I did something wrong and it couldn't possibly have a defective paint job. I love the cooker but I'm absolutely not happy with the paint and customer service. Interested to hear if anyone else has experienced the paint peeling and rusting on the bottom and around the seal.
I have convinced my work to invest in a smoker for our company BBQ team and with as much as I love the humphrys I'm really leaning towards going another direction. Can't really ask the owner of my company to invest in a Humprey's with service I received.

Load some pictures. Sounds like it wasn't prepped properly before painting. Sorry to hear this happened to you. I'm interested in how rusted it is.

Go to their website and read their warranty statement.

Seems like they would try to help you out instead of blaming you...:noidea:

Did they just completely blow you off? I think PJ may be on to something.

Seems weird for the folks at Humphrey's to blow a customer off like that.

Paint and heat do not get along. especially in areas of concentrated heat.

The face where the door is bubling is no big deal. happens to all pits of that style. if it concerns you, wire wheel it off and repaint with high heat black bbq paint. pretty much a yearly task.

The only real solutions I see are: avoid paint all together (stainless steel), Live with it, or buy generic black pits and touch up as needed.

Sexy paint jobs do not last long on a bbq pit

I read there statement, and I understand that the shipping of a 350lb smoker could break a small company. However when I paid over $1500 for a smoker I expect the paint to last longer than the painting my UDS..lol I hadn't intended to do or say anything else after my initial contact and chalk it up as normal wear and tear. When I turned it over to remove casters and measure the mounts and saw the bottom and then discovered the seal area of cook chamber that's got me fired up again.

Here are a few pics. Hit it with a wire wheel and there is no paint left around the cook chamber where the seal contacts the frame.
61C42728-A9C6-4F0E-97CD-C612ECE6F044.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

D8A112ED-0141-4D8F-AB58-A2C5FE3C399C.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm curious too if this has happened to other people. The rust issue not the customer service.

I'll take a few close pics around firebox when I get home to show the pitting.

I agree about the paint around the doors where it contacts the gasket. That will burn up quick because of the heat. Do others use oil on theirs to keep it from rusting? I would think it would be like seasoning cast iron. On my cabinet cooker the doors are inset and the paint around the door area above the firebox is the worst place because it had gotten scratched during delivery and the heat from the firebox didn't help either. Kind of just flaked off but since Abe's is out of business I didn't have anyone to call. In my opinion the bottom should not have flaked like that. I will check mine when I get home .

The face where the door is bubling is no big deal. happens to all pits of that style. if it concerns you, wire wheel it off and repaint with high heat black bbq paint. pretty much a yearly task.

The only real solutions I see are: avoid paint all together (stainless steel), Live with it, or buy generic black pits and touch up as needed.

:thumb:

My buddy has had his pint for a few years now and no issues at all (that i am aware of) with the paint/rust. Other than the stuff we have put it through it looks pretty farking good. I am curious whether you spoke directly to Chad or Nicole? They are usually great people that stand behind their smokers. May be worth a shot to give them another call be sure you speak to one of those two. You may have to drive another 4 hrs. to drop off, if you do not want to pay shipping, but as i have come to realize; shipping is the bane of bbq...been looking at getting a my cooker for awhile and always get priced out by the shipping cost. Good Luck, and happy smokes.

0002006677785_500X500.jpg

I prefer this over the spray cans when repainting. foam brush and paint it on.

I disagree with this. I had 2 Spicewines, one I ordered new and one I bought used. I used them for personal and catering for 6 & 8 years and never had any paint issues anywhere. Not under the door seals for the cook chamber or the firebox door. I also know several people that have cabinet smokers(Backwoods, homemade,Spicewine) and they don't have paint problems like that and seen many more at comps. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but that seems excessive for the limited use and time involved.
That looks like poor prep on the metal and very poor spray of primer before the top coat of paint was applied.
JMHO-YMMV

This is my first cabinet style smoker so paint flaking around seal was something I wasn't sure if common, reason I contacted humphreys. Fire box area I get, lots of heat there. The bottom worries me. I really didn't expect paint to flake around seal at top of cook chamber either being its farthest from firebox.
I love this cooker don't get me wrong. Hell I have a kick ass guru setup I don't use cause it's absolutely not necessary. I was sold on backwoods till I read about humphreys here and then drove 4hrs to buy one never having seen one. I just thought durability/construction was what set them apart from backwoods.
Humphreys dosent have a warranty, new that when I bought it. Don't expect them to do much, paint to match would be nice..lol. I am interested in if others with their cookers have the same issues with the paint though.
I have a good buddy who is the general manager of a big BBQ store who started carrying them this year, plan on calling him today to see if he's aware of this issue I'm having. I'll relay any applicable info he shares.

It probably is poor prep on the metal. What is the best solution though? Fix it yourself for 20 bucks and a couple hours of your own labor. Or go through the work and $$$ that someone needs to pay for just to get a year and a half old smoker touched up (and then look like that again next year)

I agree it would cost a ton to ship, although I have acces to a truck that delivers them to my buddies store. Doing the work myself is what I'm doing now and haven't and don't plan on contacting them. This issue is something I never seen a post on and trying to find out if it's common or if I did get a unit that may not have been prepped correctly.

Back