Beef Satay and Bacon Fried Rice

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
There's an Asian BBQ Throwdown going on right now. You can check it out HERE.

Anyways, those of you that know me at all know my love of asian food, and in particular, meat on sticks, so this was a good excuse to bust out my skewers and get busy.

Since I'm a cheap SOB, I opted for chuck eye steaks.. Less than half the price of flank, and so farking good. And I thought the fat would probably get nice and crispy... I had this pack and another one about the same.. All already thin cut, so less work for me..

I trimmed the meat of the big fat chunks and skewered it up..

Mixed up a marinade of Soy, brown sugar, veg oil, garlic, green onion, cilantro, and a whole lot of sambal oelek (Chili paste) Coated the skewers and let them soak in the goodness for an hour or so..

While that marinaded I mixed up a sauce for basting the meat.. Sake, Soy, Hoisin, Honey, Ginger, Garlic. I did not photograph it.. I also prepped all the ingredients for the fried rice..

OK, Everything is prepped.. Mise-en-place

Started with some home made bacon chunks

Veggies hit the wok. Carrots, Onions, bell pepper

Added some thai chili and garlic and ****ake

Tried to take a pic of flipping it, while flipping it. My best ideas do not usually happen while drinking.. Didn't lose any though..

Added the rice, let it char, added some soy and oyster sauce, then the eggs..

Rice is done..

Took the wok off and started the skewers. I only did 4 t a time because I knew I would have my hands full. I handed off the camera to my trusty sidekick, and for his first time really ever taking a picture, I think he did pretty good.. So, here is a photographical interlude of Julian's fine work..

OK, I edited out about 30 that weren't so great, but hey, not bad for a 9 year old!

Beef is done!

Dinner is served

Oh man was this good. And the chuck eyes were a great substitute. I may never go back to flank. Bonus was my fire was farking hot, so the meat was still Med rare inside. Thanks for lookin

Oh Dayum that looks soooooo Good!

I am getting the weber ready for some flat iron steak but this makes me want to toss it and lick my monitor!

Wow that looks good Shag!

I'm starting to feel so inferior the more of your cooks I see. This is yet another idea I would like to try. Thanks for posting.

Man, that looks delicious... and your sidekick has some photographic skills!

I wanna cook with you someday cowboy.

That all looks really, really good. I should figure out how to make good fried rice someday.

Thanks guys!

As a photographer, and knowing how hard it is to make a living doing this, I would have a hard time encouraging him, but dangit if he didn't take some nice shots!

I wanna cook with you someday cowboy.

That all looks really, really good. I should figure out how to make good fried rice someday.

Brother, we aren't that far apart. We should definitely get together. Fried rice is easy. The key is a good wok that is blazing hot. The rest is pretty easy once you learn the rhythm.

Entry_zpsmygq2lwi.jpg

:first:

Crap after seeing all these crazy good cooks today.....and this is another stellar one.... I just feel totally insignificant..... I hope the grammer police are not out again today.....

Fine looking feed you delivered, your apprentice made it look Delectable.
has to be my favourite way to cook, using Skewers.
Yours look drooling Quality

Looks great Matt!
I bought the Wok from the link you sent me a while back. Just haven't used it yet. I need to buy a wok cook book. No clue where to begin.
You make it look so easy!

Back