Wild/black cherry

SincinnatiSmoke

Reaction score
I ran on to some free wild/black cherry wood. It is still pretty green and wet on the outer edges. I've read people smoke with green fruit woods but the wild cherry isn't exactly a "fruit" wood. Its more of a hardwood used in furniture. How long would you say it should be seasoned and do you think it will season faster if I cut it into chunks now?

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 105
of course

the more air that can get to it, the faster it will dry out

I use that wood all the time, my favorite all around wood

What are you thinking.....2-4 weeks in chunks? Just wondering how long to season. I burnt a small piece just to catch the overall aroma and it reminds me of sore throat spray, hehe. I hear its good stuff tho.

OK, I will save you all the "oh that stuff is dangerous, send it to me" and just agree 100% with ButtBurner:thumb:

Based on your cooking equipment in the pic, I would say you could chunk up a split or two and "kiln dry" it in your oven for a few hrs on low just to get you going. I would chunk all of it and allow it to dry that way. It will dry way faster.

What are you thinking.....2-4 weeks in chunks? Just wondering how long to season. I burnt a small piece just to catch the overall aroma and it reminds me of sore throat spray, hehe. I hear its good stuff tho.

too many variables to predict when it will be ready

I think its gonna take more than a few weeks though

you can buy a cheap moisture meter for about $15 and see what the water content is

Dry it until the grain starts to form checks (cracks or opening)... more than four weeks..

Wild cherry belongs to the cherry family and it is a fruit wood. It produces much smaller fruits that the birds love. It will produce some great smoking wood when properly seasoned.

My black cherry is ready to use in about 8 weeks when split into chunks 3" long by 1" to 1 1/2" thick.

A guy in another forum is on the other side of the fence saying "why risk using a wood that has arsenic and cyanide in it"? I guess my answer is.....because its good and free :crazy:

A guy in another forum is on the other side of the fence saying "why risk using a wood that has arsenic and cyanide in it"? I guess my answer is.....because its good and free :crazy:

Been using it a long time with no ill effect, I don't know where that guy got his info but I think he's full of it. The leaves are dangerous if livestock eat them but using the wood for BBQ is not going to have any adverse effect.

Chunk it up and if you can't wait just pop it in the microwave. I've used that method to dry cherry bowls that I turned. You don't have to be as cautious about drying too fast and cracking like a bowl.

I always mix everything with Cherry just makes the food better , chunk it up and let it sit outside for a few weeks and it will be good to go .

Back