Lang 36

sackedbysapp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I bought used lang 36 2011 model having hard time with temps ,right front be 60 deg hotter three other corners testing mav probes. Tried level nose up, using small price s wood .ready resell it any help?

Describe how you start up your cooker. May need to try opening it all up in the beginning

Describe how you start up your cooker. May need to try opening it all up in the beginning

this! i had temp issues too with my RF.....start fire with cook chamber doors open for the first 20 or so minutes solved my issues

are you using a basket , fire bricks or mods to the firebox ? also make sure there is not a weld broken , that seems a big degree difference and this is throughout the whole cook ?

I've watched videos tried different ways big fire small fire slowly getting temp I want.

I start chimney full of kingford blue add 4 small splits 2 inches thick less 10 inches long ( they where 14 long 2.5 wide shortened resplit) everything open when fire out door. Close both doors open latch let heat the up smoke clear than close all door stake intakes wide open
The l tru read 300 but left side barely over 200 right well over 300 boil tested my probes. Tried different intake settings one close d other half open can't even temps

Is your exhaust wide open? Even if the damper is in the open position, check to be sure it's clean and the smoke/heat is escaping

Also is you grease drain open?
This makes one heck of a difference in RF smokers. Mine stays open all the time

Sounds like you may have a problem that Ben should know about - or maybe Ben can give you a suggestion to fix (May be something he's heard before).
I don't have a problem with temperature differences in my 36.

How much leakage out of the doors do you have? Heat could be escaping out certain points of the flange and ruining the chance for an even heat. When it comes to the front to back ratio, that's hard to even out. The back of mine is significantly hotter than the front, I just take that into consideration when I do chicken and pork. Otherwise it's not a big deal.

I took hand towels put along opening to test there is a good amount air getting in from door. Can't say it made real difference with or without not sure what gasket use seems rope gasket to big?

I've personally found it helps the draft as well as gets the grease out of the cooker so it doesn't burn. If you're not doing this you may be getting build up on the plate and that is causing the big difference in your temps

I've had my Lang 36 Deluxe for almost a year now. The videos help and there is a forum similar to the Brethren forum, but just for Lang Owners. Great information on there that have had similar issues.

My own personal experiences with the Lang have been pretty good. I use charcoal to start the fire and then throw on chunks to bring up the temp. Smaller chunks, IMHO, help keep the temp more steady compared to larger sticks. A miter saw is a must to get smaller chunks. I leave my drain open at all times for drainage. I leave the vents open on the firebox and at times have left the door open as well.

It's a labor of love. My results have been wonderful and the family enjoys whatever I've made. My last batch of butt and baby backs are the best I've done to date. It takes time to get familiar with your smoker and in some cases, can try your patience. Go back to square one after taking a look at the videos and see how it goes from there.

Let us know how it goes. I'm glad to see more Lang owners on here.

I've had my Lang 36 Deluxe for almost a year now. The videos help and there is a forum similar to the Brethren forum, but just for Lang Owners. Great information on there that have had similar issues.

My own personal experiences with the Lang have been pretty good. I use charcoal to start the fire and then throw on chunks to bring up the temp. Smaller chunks, IMHO, help keep the temp more steady compared to larger sticks. A miter saw is a must to get smaller chunks. I leave my drain open at all times for drainage. I leave the vents open on the firebox and at times have left the door open as well.

It's a labor of love. My results have been wonderful and the family enjoys whatever I've made. My last batch of butt and baby backs are the best I've done to date. It takes time to get familiar with your smoker and in some cases, can try your patience. Go back to square one after taking a look at the videos and see how it goes from there.

Let us know how it goes. I'm glad to see more Lang owners on here.

I do EXACTLY this on mine! It's almost weird how exact it is on my methods haha!

Back