I've been beaten

eurycea

Knows what a fatty is.
I decided to cook a little 8lb brisket today on my Brinkmann SnP. I got it on sometime between 8 & 9 this morning and I thought I'd be eating it for dinner. I have a bunch of kids showing up in about an hour (not expecting to eat thankfully) and I feel somewhat lousy so a few minutes ago I put it in the oven with its IT reading 157. I hated doing it (I think I've only done it once before), but I gave up. It seems to have stalled somewhere in the 140s earlier so I thought I was on my way when the IT finally started moving again, but it stalled once again. I kept my temp in the 265-290 range so I was hoping to be done in less than 10 hours - but instead I'm eating a sub for dinner.

Here is a pic of it

Sir, there's no shame in finishing one in the oven- after you have about 4hours of smoke on it- heat is heat. (Ovens are pretty good at heat) I like a higher cooking temps: 290 to 300 (some folk go higher). Higher temps just bulldoze thru the stall. You've had a small setback- not a defeat.

Those darn briskets, they pick and choose where they want to stall and how long they want to be there. Don't they know we want to eat them.

When I decide to go to the oven, I set for 325°F, there's no reason to stick with the lower temperatures. Get the spurs to it, no stall will resist that temperature for long.

it just bees that way sometimes.:shock: after wrapping the oven saves wood.

I have often finished meat in the oven....after a few hours on charcoal or wood, it cant absorb any more smoke so no worries.

Back