Has anyone tried kool-aid in there rubs ?

levi27123

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I stumbled across rubs that had black cherry kool-aid just trying to see does it make a difference

I believe a famous person uses orange tang in one of their rubs.

No issue with it but isn't natural sugar better since there's no red die # 4?

i never thought of this but i dunno if i would ever try it. i could maybe see cherry or orange working but i'd rather use something else if i wanted that kind of flavor

this was a fad back in 05-06.. Ive tried it myself. mostly the cherry.

its got alot of white sugar and it burns easier at low temps.. meats got very dark earlier in the cook than usual.

this was a fad back in 05-06.. Ive tried it myself. mostly the cherry.

its got alot of white sugar and it burns easier at low temps.. meats got very dark earlier in the cook than usual.
The recipes I've read call for the unsweetened Kool-ade mixed with traditional rub ingredients such as salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.

I personally think it's overkill but I did use it some cherry back in the 90s and it turned out good. But nowadays I use more basic spices on my BBQ and it turns out great.

Never tried it in a rub, but on occasion I will strain the cherries out of cherry pie filling and add the filling to my BBQ sauce to use on chicken.

I have not used kool aid, but I have used dry apple cider mix before with both good and bad results.

I've had some luck with cherry jello in a glazing powder on ribs.

I used to use country time lemonade mix (in small quantities) in some of my rubs. It gave them a nice "pop".
It's worth a try.

Back