THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pmad

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
I honestly do not know if "Trashed Wings" is a St. Louis thing, a STL thing that has spread, or something being done everywhere.
Please let me know if they do this where you live.

Vacuum Wings in a single layer

Sous vide wings 170° for 7.5 hours

You also get free chicken stock :wink:

Chill uncovered. Then deep fry at 400° for 4 min

Sauce

Then the TRASHED part.
RE-FRY for 2 min.

Serve with additional sauce and blue cheese dressing

These were some of the best wings I've had anywhere.
Because they were already cooked all the way through and lost both water and fat, the deep frying left them light and crispy.

From Stl, never heard of it, what are trashed wings, just refried after saucing?

I think maybe they call them that because they trash the fryer :wink:
They do look interesting however.:mrgreen:

Also from STL. Heard of trashed wings but never heard about it being only STL thing. We have pork steaks, toasted ravs and Gooey butter as our culinary claims.

A hijacking side note, and please don't take offense O.P. but what is the point of sous viding for that long? Or, even sous videing at all? Seems like it's taking over the bbq world for some reason and I don't really get the hype.

I always double fry my ck wings. What I have *not* done is sauce after the first fry, that seems like it would be worth trying.

How dirty does your oil get afterwards? I'm guessing pretty dirty - do you filter the oil and reuse or toss out?

And yes, I'm also curious as to the point of sous vide before frying.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Durkee-Famous-Sauce-10-Ounce-Pack/dp/B004U8S7TE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433791538&sr=8-1&keywords=Durkee"]Amazon.com : Durkee Famous Sauce, 10-Ounce (Pack of 6) : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Gyb1SdPxL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Gyb1SdPxL[/ame]

I don't quite understand the stuff but my old roommate used to eat it all the time.

s-DURKEE-SAUCE-large.jpg

It's a mayo/mustard mix?

Also from STL. Heard of trashed wings but never heard about it being only STL thing. We have pork steaks, toasted ravs and Gooey butter as our culinary claims.

A hijacking side note, and please don't take offense O.P. but what is the point of sous viding for that long? Or, even sous videing at all? Seems like it's taking over the bbq world for some reason and I don't really get the hype.

It ensure se that the wing is cooked throughout
It cooks some of the fat out
It reduces fry time
I think it made for a lighter, crispier wing.

Back