THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

W

Wildcat

Hungarian Paprika?

The only one around here is Kroger and they have Papa brand in 5 oz. I'm trying to find some in a larger can. I've got the Spanish paprika at Sam's so that's not what I'm looking for.

I was looking for Hungarian Paprika also today. I bought the reguler stuff. I figured 'effet' how much different can it be. I hope I didn't just start a chit storm of debate of why Hungarian Paprika is better then the reguler stuff. Which it probably is. When I come across it I'll pick some up

Thanks. I'm gonna check afew more store 1st. If I can't find it. I'll order it online.

Try Penzey's Spices. They have catalog sales and also a few retail stores in the midwest. maybe there's one near you.

I found some at the Spice House on the net and they have two different Hungrarian paprikas. here's what they said about their best. Also their best cost more than twice the other Hungarian paprika.

Exquisite Sweet Hungarian Paprika

The finest paprika in the whole wide world! No kidding. We have exhausted our supply. The small co-op of farmers that produced this magnificent paprika is no longer in business. We are searching for paprika of similar flavor and brilliant color, and we still hold out hope. However, for now, it can't be found. Check back for periodic updates.

I also saw on other sites it was hard to get. So I'll be ordering some of Spice House's regular Hungarin paprika.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wildcat said:
I found some at rhe Spice House on the net and they have two different Hungrarian paprikas. here's what they said about their best. Also their best cost more than twice the other Hungarian paprika.

Exquisite Sweet Hungarian Paprika

The finest paprika in the whole wide world! No kidding. We have exhausted our supply. The small co-op of farmers that produced this magnificent paprika is no longer in business. We are searching for paprika of similar flavor and brilliant color, and we still hold out hope. However, for now, it can't be found. Check back for periodic updates.

I also saw on other sites it was hard to get. So I'll be ordering some of Spice House's regular Hungarin paprika.

I will second recommendation for the spice house. When I went to watch Zoo B Que I stopped in and got a bunch of things, including paprika. I love the smell of that store!

g

As far as I know, Hungarian Paprika is basically "regular Paprika". In other words, if not specified, the store stuff would be more likely to be close to Hungarian, and less close to Spanish. (In fact, often the store stuff IS specified as "Hungarian Paprika")

The real question is one of quality and age. Like noted above, some place like Penzeys would be sure to provide quality stuff. The stuff at Kroger's may have been there for years ....

Full disclosure: many of my spices are store brand/bulk. I think they suffice for most of what we use them for.

Wildcat said:
Hungarian Paprika?

The only one around here is Kroger and they have Papa brand in 5 oz. I'm trying to find some in a larger can. I've got the Spanish paprika at Sam's so that's not what I'm looking for.

I would recommend the spicebarn.com I've ordered alot of stuff from these guys that I cant find anywhere else, delivery is fast and the quality is top notch..

Bossman
chuckmarting@bossmanbbq.com

Back