Kingsford Comp/Stubbs Briqs

rtboswell

Full Fledged Farker
Anyone use these in a vertical water smoker? I've heard from a friend that they have had issues with them continually smoking (not a huge amount of smoke, just a small continual amount) when they used it in their vertical water cooker with the snake method/maze method.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it normal? Is their something my friend could be doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help!

Stubb's will smoke in the beginning but that is about it. I use it in all my cookers. No issues with a maze or minion.

To date, the best luck I have ever had with any charcoal is with Stubb's. I've even stopped using lump. It does smoke a little at startup, but you can tell from the smell of the smoke that it is all natural. Once it gets going it burns nice and clean.

I never noticed the acrid smell and taste from KBB because I grew up on it. Once I started using lump and natural briquettes, I could tell something was off when I went back to it. I will use it in a pinch for grilling. I'll never smoke on KBB again unless it is my only option, i.e. every store in a 50 mile radius is out of Stubb's!

I use Stubb's in my Humphrey's frequently...no issues. As other's mentioned yes it does smoke a bit at startup, but once it gets going its fine.

I usually use lump, but I've used kingsford comp several times with no problem.

I use comp 2 briqs wide in my WSM 22.5 to smoke bacon and add wood chunks for flavor. No issues

Back