First BBQ Meatloaf (with pics)

voidecho

Full Fledged Farker
So, I've recently had my eyes opened (mostly due to this site) to the numerous other meals I can smoke besides my typical ribs and pork shoulders.

BBQ meatloaf has been on my radar for a few weeks now and tonight's the night I give it a go. I picked up some ground beef and ground pork. Sauted some onions and garlic in butter and then let it cool. Mix the meat and veggies with bread crumbs, eggs, worcechester sauce and some of my basic bbq rub. Tried not to overwork the mixture. Thought I'd need some milk, but everything was pretty wet without it.

Formed it into shape and stuck it in the fridge for a bit to set. About an hour later I made a bacon weave (my first ever), put some rub on the meatloaf and put the weave on the loaf. Back in the fridge for another hour. Just stuck it on the smoker about 30 minutes ago.

Here's some pics...(disregard the McKormics...that's for something else)

dinner1_zpsd694029b.jpg

dinner3_zpsd6c13be8.jpg

dinner2_zps308759ee.jpg

More pics to come...

Last edited:
Making some Mac 'n Cheese on the side too. I make this all of the time, but I think I'm going to cook it in the smoker a bit to get some smoke flavor. Plan to add some panko to the top and broil it for a few minutes to finish it off.

Ready to go in the smoker...

mac_zps862a9dce.jpg

I'm getting a ton of drippings in the pan. I'm going to leave it cooking in the juices, but I'm tempted to take it off the pan gentle and put it straight on the smoker grates. Hmmmm.....

It's sitting at 130 right now. Usually take them off at 165 or so, right??

I'm getting a ton of drippings in the pan. I'm going to leave it cooking in the juices, but I'm tempted to take it off the pan gentle and put it straight on the smoker grates. Hmmmm.....

I always smoke my ML on the grate, with a drip pan below. But, I have never done a bacon wrap on mine. I'm thinking your idea to move the ML to the grate is probably a good idea.

CD

155. Tent and let it rest.

As a frame of reference, the two I pictured took slightly less than two and half hours at 225-250. Did them on foil the entire time

I got my smoker up in temp a bit to try to crisp up the bacon and it shot from 130 to 160 pretty quick. I pulled it off, glazed with some hot bbq sauce and cooked it a bit more to set the sauce.

In the meantime, here's the final Mac 'n Cheese. Covered the top with panko, sprayed with Pam to get a little fat on the panko and put it in the oven at 500 degrees for about three minutes.

Looks good to me. Bacon, rosemary, gruyere, extra sharp cheddar and parmigiano.

mac2_zpsaa393184.jpg

The weave was actually pretty easy and worked great.

Thanks for all of the tips guys.

Back