flour issues.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I love my fried chicken, or catfish, however I would like to find something else to coat them with. I am going to try and take my wife, and I off of all kinds of wheat including flour made form it, I don't own a mill.

I know almost any kind of vegetable can be made into flour, and wonder if any of you use anything different for that purpose? Thanks in advance.
Dave

we use Zaterain's seasoned fish fry here, or Louisiana fish fry here, which is corn flour.

images

2Q==

I know that you can turn oatmeal into oat flour using a food processor. It's worth a try. Also, considering other alternatives, it may be more economical and better for you healthwise in the long run.

Dave, is this a carb thing, or something wheat specific?

Ground almond meal, and unsweetened coconut flour (slight coconut taste when recipe permits) work great! Both can be had at Whole Foods ("Whole Paycheck"), if you have one nearby, or ordered online MUCH cheaper. Both grain-free, and nearly zilch carbs.

I have used all manner of things, but, cornstarch, rice flour, corn flour are all great super crispy options. There are also wheat free flours you can buy, one of the great things about these, is that by mixing various grain flours, the characteristics of wheat flour are more prevalent.

Mixing in nut flours can also add texture and flavor, while making the dish a little higher in protein (not really needed with fried chicken, not at all bad with pancakes).

One of the best videos I have ever seen on this. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtrHkByhQhM"]LINKY[/ame]

The info is good, she is a little chatty

My wife almost exclusively uses Almond flour. The place to buy it is Amazon.com. A lot of grocery stores carry it. Whole foods, Earth Fare, Sprouts, Kroger all carry it. But you can get it from Amazon at a much better deal. She also uses rice flour a good bit. Get that at a local asian market. They also carry tons of rice noodles which are good.

Sorry for not getting back sooner.. I appreciate all the responses, I was a little misleading when I added catfish to my list, I do use a cornmeal coating for that and have used it on chicken from time time. The problem with the cornmeal store bought kind I think most have some wheat flour added to them, maybe not all.

Oatmeal, rice, and even kudzu, sound interesting and may have to try some of those. My reason for wanting to cut out wheat from our diet which is not a diet per say, is we are trying to reduce our arthritis inflamed joints, and hope to reduce our weight some what but the joint pain is our main goal.

I have recently developed a lot of pain in my left hand to the point I now have a brace on the left hand most of the time, needles to to say it has made my guitar playing not so much fun these day. My wife also has some issues with her joints as well, point being I am hearing some not so good new about today's wheat it is not your Grandfather's wheat from yesteryear which used to be health, not so much today.

I can't seem to get on board with the gluten free kick, again I am hearing some conflicting things about that. If it is 100% real gluten free great, but it appears that is not always the case, not to mentions anything proclaiming to be gluten free is so much more expensive, which almost is always is the care when something is taken out to make it more healthy.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions, if there are any others I would like to see those as well.
Dave

Panko would be a good alternative

I have used it and liked it, but unfortunately the ingredients I am reading from my box I have, read the first ingredient which is always the largest part of the ingredient is wheat flour, so that is out.

Got to read them labels, you would be very surprised at all the foods we eat have much wheat in them, even liquid things. I did not mention Almond flour that may also be a good one to try, pricey I am sure.

I am looking at Andy's fish breading, as suspected the second ingredient, is processed enriched wheat flour. Now I am looking at a bottle of teriyaki sauce marinade, you guessed it wheat flour. That is only 3 things most of us have, not suspecting they have wheat flour well maybe the Panko. So yes got to read those labels for many reasons other than just wheat.
Dave

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: pbj
I have used it and liked it, but unfortunately the ingredients I am reading from my box I have, read the first ingredient which is always the largest part of the ingredient is wheat flour, so that is out.

Got to read them labels, you would be very surprised at all the foods we eat have much wheat in them, even liquid things. I did not mention Almond flour that may also be a good one to try, pricey I am sure.

I am looking at Andy's fish breading, as suspected the second ingredient, is processed enriched wheat flour. Now I am looking at a bottle of teriyaki sauce marinade, you guessed it wheat flour. That is only 3 things most of us have, not suspecting they have wheat flour well maybe the Panko. So yes got to read those labels for many reasons other than just wheat.
Dave
Boy,do I feel silly. I always assumed it was rice because it would crisp up so nicely.:oops:

Dave

You're right, it's a PITA how much stuff has wheat in it. Anything with soy sauce (teriyaki etc) is usually made from wheat instead of soy.

With that said, the best all purpose GF flour I've found is:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/King-Arthur-Flour-Multipurpose-24-ounces/dp/B0047YYSSA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405511284&sr=8-3&keywords=king+arthur+flour"]Amazon.com : King Arthur Flour Multipurpose Flour, Gluten Free, 24-ounces : Flour And Meals : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5129DXH4rkL.@@AMEPARAM@@5129DXH4rkL[/ame]

Back