THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irvine's a freakin' idiot when it comes to bbq. He said that Hickory and Oak impart too much smoke. So he advised them to change the type of wood they used. WTH?!?!

Irvine's a freakin' idiot when it comes to bbq. He said that Hickory and Oak impart too much smoke. So he advised them to change the type of wood they used. WTH?!?!
He is, I remember seeing one with a Tex Mex restaurant where he told them they need to tone the heat in there food. :roll:

Calling someone an idiot because they have a difference in opinion than you is meh. Pretty sure his successful career and helping other restaurants from failing say that he isn't an idiot.

Calling someone an idiot because they have a difference in opinion than you is meh. Pretty sure his successful career and helping other restaurants from failing say that he isn't an idiot.

The guy is supposedly a professional chef. He may know his stuff in other areas but BBQ isn't one of them. He is dead wrong if he thinks hickory and oak impart too much smoke. It's not the wood it's the user. I'd venture to say that hickory and oak are two of the top three most used woods in barbecuing. So to say something like that shows his ignorance.

We are all ignorant of somethings and he's definitely ignorant on BBQ and wood.

I've watched a lot of his BBQ episodes and it's not as much of him spewing bad information as much as it is spewing it in a tone that what he's saying is the gospel truth, not to be debated.

But he has said on more than one occasion that oak and hickory impart too much smoke into the meat. Which is wrong.

I've watched a lot of his BBQ episodes and it's not as much of him spewing bad information as much as it is spewing it in a tone that what he's saying is the gospel truth, not to be debated.

But he has said on more than one occasion that oak and hickory impart too much smoke into the meat. Which is wrong.

Imparting too much smoke is a subjective thing. It might be his personal preference, i dunno.

Either way restoring to calling someone an idiot because he doesn't agree with your way of thinking is absurd. That would be like me calling you an idiot because you might consider KC style ribs the end all be all, because I like Memphis style ribs.

To each their own I guess.

P.S. One bbq shop he had someone cooking ribs at 400+ degrees for 90 minutes. A brethren gave Robert Irivines technique a try and said the ribs were actually pretty tasty. I will have to try to find the thread and link it here.

Imparting too much smoke is a subjective thing. It might be his personal preference, i dunno.

Either way restoring to calling someone an idiot because he doesn't agree with your way of thinking is absurd. That would be like me calling you an idiot because you might consider KC style ribs the end all be all, because I like Memphis style ribs.

To each their own I guess.

P.S. One bbq shop he had someone cooking ribs at 400+ degrees for 90 minutes. A brethren gave Robert Irivines technique a try and said the ribs were actually pretty tasty. I will have to try to find the thread and link it here.

Then he needs to state it that way, as his opinion. Not as some gospel truth fact. He opens himself up to criticism when he states things in a dogmatic manner. Especially when you've got literally thousands of people that cook with hickory and oak on a routine basis that more than likely put out Q (at worst) as good as his.

My wife doesn't like when I use hickory because of the bitter-ish taste. I've heard other people say similar statements.

Interesting. I didn't see it, but I do wonder what Bama Q thought about it. Seeing as it's his place that was on the show, and he's a member here.

On edit, I checked the episode details on foodnetwork.com. Appears the new owner bought it from Bama Q 10 months before the episode was filmed which would make it 2013? So Bama Q the member is apparently the original owner and not the current one on the episode.

Last edited:
Well now BSHM, I have been doing this for a very long time and I usually foil after 4 or 5 hours , haven't had any compliants , and I get all the jobs I want , even turn down jobs, Lot of bbq haters even like i

Back