Ribs for Fifty on my UDS

pitbossJB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This coming weekend I'm going to smoke ribs for about fifty people on my newly completed UDS, I'll send pix when it happens. I'm figuring about one pound per guest. Am I high or low?

Will do, I've got three grates and I'm thinking of adding one more on top.

with sides u could feed 5 to 6 people with one slab. I cooked 9 slabs st Louis cut ribs for 40 and there was none left and most went for seconds

I think you would need at least 12-14 slabs, and don't invite too many big eaters... Getting those to fit on a UDS even on three grates will be difficult and the racks closest to the bottom will be done much sooner than the middle or the top grates. I did 4 racks, 2 per grate and the bottom ones were crispy like one of my friends liked it and the top 2 were almost done but needed a little more time. Making adjustments to the bottom rack with the middle and top grates in place will take a lot of heat out of the smoker and lead to a longer cooking time.
You may want to look at hanging your ribs in the UDS similar to the pbc cooker instead.

Yes, we need pics!

I might be able to, with rib racks do 10-12 racks in my UDS (Haven't tried).

Are you going to foil them, or just let the smoke roll?

with sides u could feed 5 to 6 people with one slab. I cooked 9 slabs st Louis cut ribs for 40 and there was none left and most went for seconds

That's about 2 bones each. That seems like a small portion. I think three bones (so 4 servings per rack) is a better guess if there is another meat or 4 bones (3 servings per rack) if that is the only meat.

I've got 12 racks to fit in. I'll trim them St. Louis style. I'm going to just let the smoke roll, no foil and I'm going to use Pecan with a water pan.

I always figure about 3-6 ribs per guest. I did a half slab per guest on 18 people and none were left. Might have been the quality too though lol.

1/2 rack per person but for 50 I'd be throwing on some Spatchcocked chicken too. :wink:

I have not done it, from simply a pure volume point of view, I have considered making a wood smoking box to sit on top of my UDS (box just simplifies the use of rods). A wood box would be fairly insulated, so there should be no great heat loss with the increase in volume. I suspect it would not be all that hard to find an economical grid size, but I have mainly wanted to do it to hang sausage for smoking. Pretty sure it would be a simple project to make a smoking box for 100lbs of sausage, but you could probably hang ribs just as easy.

I've got 12 racks to fit in. I'll trim them St. Louis style. I'm going to just let the smoke roll, no foil and I'm going to use Pecan with a water pan.

Ditch the water pan. The drum already is a very moist cooking enviroment.

What I might do is make some racks and stand them on their sides then it would be easy to check the bottom slabs.

or you can roll each slab....that can get you about 6 on each cooking rack..

you will fit the most in there if ya roll em like carbon says

Thanks guys, I'm thinking I might make some racks and just go with two grates.

Good luck:hail:
I don't have a UDS anymore, but I would like to see some pics.

Back