Cowboy Lump on sale at Lowes

blackdog043

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
$9.99 for a 20 lb bag until monday, regular price is $13.99. I haven't used this in years, don't know if I should try it again, I normally use RO.

Thanks for the tip! I'm the same as you, I used to use this stuff a long time ago, but switched to something else. From what I hear they've improved it. I might grab a bag while it's on sale and try it out again.

From what I hear, the Made in Mexico bags are the ones to buy since it is real wood pieces and not scrap lumber like the Made in America bags.

Geez, I feel like a Commie for saying that.....

The Cowboy Lump that is made in Mexico is better than the last 4 bags of Royal Oak I have used. And by better I mean, not even close. There is no 1x1 pieces of wood that are clearly scrap that I have gotten in Royal Oak Bags. No rocks that I have gotten in Royal Oak Bags, and no other foreign debris (I would get insulation in Royal Oak Bags). It also burns longer and just as hot as Royal oak.

Cowboy Lump isn't Wicked Good Weekend Warrior by any means. But it is a much better product than Royal Oak at this time.

I bought two bags yesterday. Burned about 1/4 bag last night. Most pieces were 3-4". They lit quickly and burned hot.

I have a bag of USA and several bags of Mexico. The USA bag is much larger even though it's the same weight, like a bag of potato chips, lots of air. I haven't cracked into either one but will report the results soon. I heard from a friend that bought from the same pallet that the stuff from Mexico starts with a bad smell almost like plastic and burns pretty fast. Like everyone here I'm giving them another chance based on what other people are reporting in this forum, fingers crossed.

Just got 4 bags from my local Lowes. Tip: if you have the time have them price match Tru-Value hardware @ $8.99 then you will also get an extra 10% off bringing the total to $8.09 per bag.
Never used the 'old' Cowboy so I have no comparative point. These were nice large pieces of actual trees. Lit up quickly but sparked and popped like the 4th of July while in the chimney. Very natural/neutral smell. Burned hot for grilling and held the temps well for the low part of the cook. Overall I will buy more at this price.

Just got two bags of these and they price matched Tru Value price. Thank you :)

I think I'm gonna pick some up tomorrow and have them do the price match, thanks for the tip.

FYI for those interested, the $9.99 sale on the 20lb bags is only running until the 27th. That is according to the fine print on the banner in the charcoal isle. :biggrin1:

I bought a 8.8lb bag today and liked what I saw. Didn't want to commit to a 20lber without knowing what the bag contains. Had to see it for myself I guess. Going to cook with it this weekend and see how I like it and if I do I'll go back and buy a couple 20lb bags to stock up.

In the mean time, Lowes did drop their price on Stubbs (or are running some kind of unadvertised sale) to $7.89. That is what I originally went to go stock up on today and was glad to see it down from the regular $8.99 for a 15lb bag.

I have used the Cowboy Lump about a month ago. I was pieces of wood and smoked the meat well and the meat had a good flavor.

I bought a couple of bags today and had them match the True Value price. They had a dozen pallets of the 2X20lb Kingsford waiting on the racks for Memorial Day.

nice, i was wondering when lowes would put the lump charcoal on sale. i picked up 6 bags from true value already and may get some more. i never see lump on sale!!!

Hey guys remember if you are a veteran and have any kind of id be it retired or even a VA id card you get an additional 10% off at loews or HD.....

Back