Tri-Tip first try... what's the hype?!?!?

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
I've been reading so much on this forum lately about tri tips. So I couldn't resist and hunted up and down (it's hard to find in Northern NJ) until tonight I did my first tri-tip. I enjoyed it. It tasted very similar to what you get at http://tritipgrill.com/. Frankly however it's extremely fatty and a reverse sear is simply not enough time to render down the fat. But a poor man's ribeye... hell no... a ribeye is on a different level. The kicker is around here it isn't even cheap at $10-12 a pound. I'm not sure what poor man wants to pay that.

What's the deal? Is it me? Did I do something wrong? Am I just in a funky mood? I just don't get it. It's good but...

So I think on the left coast they get them quite a bit cheaper. I would comapre a tri-tip to a good sirloin if I were trying to compare it to typical steak cuts.

You mentioned you picked up your tri tip at whole paycheck? It might have been prime. Was it trimmed? Any pics?

Was the fat a single layer on one side, or all the way through the meat? Marbling is a good thing. Sounds like something went terribly wrong.

On the price, they don't call it whole paycheck for nothin'.

When it's done right, it looks something like this:

IMG_3722.jpg

Was the fat on the outside or marbled throughout the meat? The tri-tip that I get at Restaurant Depot is choice, so marbling is limited. It does have a fat cap on one side like a brisket. I trim that all off and clean up both sides.

P1140343.JPG

Then I give it some smoke at 225 until it hit 115 internal and then kick up the grill and sear until it's 130 internal.

P1140344.JPG

After letting it rest I sliced it across the grain (and the grain is funky)...

P1140346.JPG

It's not a ribeye, so comparing it isn't right, but it is a very tasty piece of meat and very tender when sliced right.

Well, whoever compared it to a ribeye is nuts, it isn't at all like that. And it has some fat, but, done right, there is little sensation of grease or fat. I often cook Choice tri-tips and there is a small amount of fat, but, it never tastes fatty or greasy. I have to question whether you had a real tri-tip and whether you cooked it right.

For the record as well, I have NEVER had a good tri-tip at a restaurant, NEVER, ANYWHERE, EVER had a even decent tri-tip at a restaurant.

A typical raw tri-tip for me, at around $7 a pound
tritipraw-1.jpg

Cooked and sliced
roasted-1.jpg

Forgot to mention, I bet the tri tip you get at tri tip restaurant looks nothing like the pics on their website :)

I ate at the restaurant but I sent the link without looking at their website. Whole Foods is the only place within >15 miles of me that sells it other than restaurant depot. It was well marbleized as you might expect from the price. Less chunks of fat and more well distributed than the one el ropo posted. Beautiful color when cooked. My father independently agreed with my evaluation as well. Also amazing ribs is where I found that poor mans ribeye quote ;)

I've been reading so much on this forum lately about tri tips. So I couldn't resist and hunted up and down (it's hard to find in Northern NJ) until tonight I did my first tri-tip. I enjoyed it. It tasted very similar to what you get at http://tritipgrill.com/. Frankly however it's extremely fatty and a reverse sear is simply not enough time to render down the fat. But a poor man's ribeye... hell no... a ribeye is on a different level. The kicker is around here it isn't even cheap at $10-12 a pound. I'm not sure what poor man wants to pay that.

What's the deal? Is it me? Did I do something wrong? Am I just in a funky mood? I just don't get it. It's good but...

Kindda like me trying to import Maine Lobster. Yeah, I can get one but the really good ones stay up your way. Same with beef critters in the South and West unless .... your a High $ restaurant etc.

Kindda like me trying to import Maine Lobster. Yeah, I can get one but the really good ones stay up your way. Same with beef critters in the South and West unless .... your a High $ restaurant etc.
Hmm there is solid logic here. Maybe you're right. I think I might have to stick to more local cuts.

Also amazing ribs is where I found that poor mans ribeye quote ;)
Not the first time they've given out lousy info, and it won't be the last. :boxing:

There are no chunks of fat in the pic I posted, that's melted flavor. Maybe you are used to ungraded and select beef.

That pic came from this Snake River Farms tri tip (pic courtesy of Moose)

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

Here's a link to the original thread, it's 18 months old, so you'll get a warning if you try to post to it:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98983&highlight=Beef+revelation

Last edited:
Not the first time they've given out lousy info, and it won't be the last. :boxing:
Could be the case... rhetoric can be dangerous

There are no chunks of fat in the pic I posted, that's melted flavor. Maybe you are used to ungraded and select beef.
While dear sir I have eaten at Rutgers University cafeteria many a time I have never purchased a cut below choice in my life. :drama:

Wagyu is a different beast all together if that's what we're talking about here. It's breed to be fatty and the fat isn't the same type texture as normal cattle.

It might just not be your taste. I know it is huge here in CA and I have eaten it my whole life. I had never had brisket until I was in my twenties. I like it because it is close to a stake but still a roast and I usually get it for about $12 for a 2#'r. Out here they are often done salt pepper garlic or marinated heavily.

Hope this experience didn't ruin your opinion totally, its a decent cut of meat, but like others have said maybe it just isn't your taste.

So you go into your local and pay $10-20/lb for every piece of beef you buy. I'd really love to see pics of what the outcome of that tri tip was so I can get an idea of why it wasn't enjoyable. It seems that we're missing part of the story without some pics.

Pre cooked pics, how it was trimmed, etc. You said it was a reverse sear, what was your low temp? What temp did you move it over to sear? How did you rest the meat after you pulled it? Was it tented loosely under foil for a reasonable period (20-30 minutes)? Or did you slice it up right off the cooker? What temp was it right when you sliced it? Lots of variables, and I see no info on those from your posts other than you didn't care for it.

Restaurant depot will have leaner tri tip for 50-60% less than what you paid at whole paycheck.

Last edited:
I get them here for $6.99#. The "poor man's rib-eye" quote is definitely out to lunch.
I would compare it more to a london broil. That being said, Ive been getting them for about a year and a half. In that time it has become my go to steak. I love them, all they really need is a little salt & pepper, but I like to experiment.

As far as cooking, they cook like a roast but eat like a steak. I sear both sides on the weber kettle then move it off the coals til it hits 130-135°. Maybe some day I'll try reverse sear.

So you go into your local and pay $10-20/lb for every piece of beef you buy. I'd really love to see pics of what the outcome of that tri tip was so I can get an idea of why it wasn't enjoyable. It seems that we're missing part of the story without some pics.

Pre cooked pics, how it was trimmed, etc. You said it was a reverse sear, what was your low temp? What temp did you move it over to sear? How did you rest the meat after you pulled it? Was it tented loosely under foil for a reasonable period (20-30 minutes)? Or did you slice it up right off the cooker? What temp was it right when you sliced it? Lots of variables, and I see no info on those from your posts other than you didn't care for it.

Restaurant depot will have leaner tri tip for 50-60% less than what you paid at whole paycheck.
Wow lots of questions here I might not be able to cover them all. No I do not pay $10-12/lb for all the meat I buy. Choice isn't always that expensive and depends on the cut. However I never buy anything below choice. In fact many times I don't even see select.

I didn't post any p0rn because well I was just hungry so I started eating a soon is it was sliced. Sliced it 15 mins after it came off. It already came pre-trimmed.
Flavor profile was good. Fat was well distributed but having some areas of larger fat veins then others. I don't think my issue was with the cook itself. It was just the meat being very heavy with all it's fat and at an average price of $11 per pound I can get better cuts.

RD sold tri tip in 15lb packages and up. Being how I wanted to try it before committing to that I think I made a good decision.

It comes from the butt sirloin. Near where the flap meat comes from. A cut that has a lot of grain. It has a good beefy flavor and good texture if cut across the grain

Back