Catering/vending rig just on the smoker trailer

FLAQUE

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was curious to see if anyone vends/caters solely off of their smoker. Thinking mostly of an offset pit with a 3 compartment and hand sinks to get passed by the HD. Anyone with experience in Florida would also be helpful. I'm looking to do festivals, roadsde, and also cater for friends/family functions. Thanks!:-D

Think about it, where's the commercial fridge or freezer going to fit, the screened in enclosure to prep and serve from, rest room and the list goes on. Not trying to be cute, it's there's a reason all that stuff is required, or it would be done all over. It won't work anywhere we go or have been, to vend. Now catering or cooking on site opens things up and can be done on permit basis, around here. I'm working on trailers now to do that very thing, sell BBQ and it takes different things in different areas. Start with local HD and then Safe Serve courses and then you'll have those answers. Steve.

That does make sense. Just seeing if anyone has done it. The onsite cooking permit is something to check into. Thank you sir.

I do it all the time in South Carolina, but it is limited to a 3 day "event" and some inspectors require all prep work to be done in inspected commercial kitchen.

Go to myflorida.com and look for DBPR - hotels and restaurants. Read the rules but make sure you are sitting down. Goveernment regulation at its finest.

Thanks for the help gents. I've found out that I can get a catering license and will have to use an approved commisary that has been inspected by the HD. All the food has to be prepared there and held at the proper temp and brought to the site. To vend in FL, you need to have an approved food truck/trailer with the correct equipment. I have friends that own restaurant and cafes so I will probably use their kitchen as the commissary. Can't wait to get started. For now I'll just cook for family and friends out of the goodness of my heart...and a donation!!:wink:

We have done some catering from our pit using a Cambro, pans etc.. But to set up on full time basis you would need a mobile shack if you will that has the freezer/fridge areas for prep sink etc.. But it sounds like your well on your way :)

I am looking to get into the whole catering thing when I retire from the Marine Corps. However right now I cook for friends and family in mass quantities and take donations :p

how many people have you cooked for at one time? what type of pit do you have?

Back