Vending question: smoker type

The NSF rating is used by many health departments as a guideline to quality and several other things. It will used by all those health departments differently and no one should consider the same application from county to county, let alone state to state. Best thing is to get in touch with the one that has jurisdiction in your targeted sales area and start asking questions. Steve.

Also for some valuable knowledge you might contact Neil(BigMista) out west for he seems to have vending figured out, among many others. I believe he's using box type cookers that work very well. Steve.

I just went through this. The HD in my county is notorious for being strict...so here's what I did.

I worked with the HD to design a trailer from the ground up. I submitted the plan to them before ever building it. They bought off on it - then I pulled the trigger and built it. My HD was very easy going when working with them. Was it cheap? No - but was it done right? Yes. I NEVER worry when getting inspected by the HD now, in fact, most walk in - look around, take a few temps and say sign here. No questions asked or issues.

That being said, I prefer working indoors - no wind, no rain, less heat with an air conditioner and warrmer with a heater. A refrigerator, 3 bay sinks, hand wash sink, and lots of shelving plus my own bathroom and sleeping quarters makes for a sweet day of vending. I can't count how many time this year I've been so glad to have everything inside out of the weather while it was pouring rain. No scrambling to pick up and pack up when bad weather hits while vending. Much easier to setup and breakdown too. Cleaning is a SNAP.

Anyway - back to the original question...the smoker..

I agree - less tending is WAY better. I use an insulated offset and have it running on LP like an ole hickory/southern pride. Once I'm done cooking for the day - it makes an AWESOME holding cabinet. My HD likes me using the Stoker to log the cook and temps a s well. I show them the log, they're good to go.

Hope this helps...I learned a lot this year vending about 2x's a month, large venues and small ones.

After thinking about it for a minute - I wanted to come back and send a link to pics of my concession/vending/catering setup - that way you can see what I was talking about - check em out here -

Vending Trailer Build Out

Hope this helps!

Sweet trailer build! I'm dealing with significantly less in the way of tow capacity lol. I gotta keep my first rig small so indoor vending is out :)

Quick notes...

You will need 3 people or a winch to get that large Spicewine on and off that trailer. Leave it on if you have the space.

Check with the HD on the size of the water tanks on your sink. Here in Cali it has to be 20 gal fresh and 30 gal grey minimum.

I've built my business with Spicewines but unless they are trailer ones, you better make sure you have help. The steel that makes them awesome also makes them heavy.

Thanks for the input Neil, if I go that route it would be a dedicated trailer and the Spicewine would stay put on the trailer. Also, our sink sizes and capacities are not as strict here thankfully. Before I buy a thing I'm sitting down with my local inspector to get the skinny on what I need.

Sweet trailer build! I'm dealing with significantly less in the way of tow capacity lol. I gotta keep my first rig small so indoor vending is out :)

Thanks! We love cooking out of that trailer - I can compete and vend - no problem at all.

I know what you mean - I tow that bad boy with a F-250 - regular gas engine - and you can tell it's back there. I'm sure it's right around 10,000 pounds loaded out - I know the tongue weight is 1175 or so. ;)

Back