BBQ in Milwaukee or within 2 hours?

touchdowntodd

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
ill drive for decent BBQ .. ive heard mixed reviews about the smoke shack here and i need to try it still ...

i try to avoid chicago for other reasons, but heard there might be a couple good places

someone let me know where i can take my wife for good brisket etc within 2 hours driving time?

i want to cook more myself but no smoker yet and not enough knowledge... and cant afford to fly to a class..

Bad Bones BBQ in Minoqua,Wi is supposed to be very good. A few people from another BBQ forum I am on really liked it. Might be over a 2 hour drive, but I have driven 4 hours one way to try new BBQ.

Real Urban BBQ in Highland Park IL has gotten good reviews. I haven't been there yet but know the owner and he's a good guy.

Two hours is stretching it to get into Chicago, but Smoque has good reviews, although a couple of guys here have tried it and weren't impressed. Lillie's Q is pretty good, as is Chicago Q. The tri-tip at Lillie's Q is excellent.

i want to cook more myself but no smoker yet and not enough knowledge... and cant afford to fly to a class.

You really don't need to take a class. There's a bunch of knowledge here to help you get started. You can build a UDS for pretty cheap or watch Craig's List for a Weber Kettle or even a Weber Smokey Mountain.

i was just saying that i cant really learn well on my own .. i can read all i want but i cant afford to ruin hundreds of dollars worth of good meat trying LOL ..

i need to find a BBQ mentor of sorts ...

Todd,
When I started smoking it was on a $29 smoker from Basspro about 10 years ago. I don't think I have wasted any meat and by reading the forum it can only make your cooks better.
Take the advice that is offered here and run with it.

Bad Bones BBQ in Minoqua, WI, is worth the 4 hour drive!!!!! That being said, Smoke Shack has decent food, but not traditional, home cooked BBQ. I'd rate it about the best around town. Silver Spur (I think that's the name) on the west end is very poor, as is Puddle Jumpers, as their food, from my experience, is oven cooked (braised) and not real BBQ. Speed Queen is not on my list, but Ashley's BBQ has some pretty decent food. It's in a poor area of town, but if your like rib tips it beats any other place around. A new place just opened on Howard and Whitnall that has very good ribs. The pulled pork wasn't that great and the sauces were not to my liking, but they serve the ribs dry so you don't have to use their sauce. Never tried LoCash so I can't comment. Jut to the south, on hwy 41, is a maritime themed BBQ place on the southeast corner of the intersection. If you get the pulled pork or brisket just off the pit it's quite good. If it's been sitting in the display case being kept warm I would pass. Their Cajun stuff is super, though. Home cooked jumbalaya, etc. is super. All my 2 cents worth.

thanks! i really need to find someone near bye to help me learn .. i learn best like that.. the search continues!

Back