Are you kidding me??

P

pike51

My neighbor was doing a Mother's Day cook for his parents, in-laws, and his familyand got things fired up Saturday night about 9 pm on his smoker. He's got a nice home made offset on a small trailer and it was in his fenced back yard with a lock in the tongue. Went to bed about midnight, woke up at 4 am to check the temps and the smoker was gone! Some jack-hole stole it during cooking!

Not only was he out the cooker, but the thiefs got 4 slabs of ribs, a butt, 2 chickens and some beans along with all his cooking tools and wood (kept in a large storage box on the trailer).

Seriously? How crappy is that!!

Load the guns, were going hunting :mad:

That sucks....hope they catch the crooks

wow that sucks, I keep my trailer under two locks, a beefy chain ran through the spokes of the trailer wheel and a ball lock on the tongue.

I'll keep a lookout on CL for you, but my guess it some tweeker with a POS dropped it off at the scrap yard this morning or it'll end up at some shady pawn shop/flea market

One of my biggest fears..This is why I do not cook over night.. I just wake up REALLY early..and turn my temps up if need be..I feel his pain!

My neighbor was doing a Mother's Day cook for his parents, in-laws, and his familyand got things fired up Saturday night about 9 pm on his smoker. He's got a nice home made offset on a small trailer and it was in his fenced back yard with a lock in the tongue. Went to bed about midnight, woke up at 4 am to check the temps and the smoker was gone! Some jack-hole stole it during cooking!

Not only was he out the cooker, but the thiefs got 4 slabs of ribs, a butt, 2 chickens and some beans along with all his cooking tools and wood (kept in a large storage box on the trailer).

Seriously? How crappy is that!!

Ill keep a eye out here. Im a few hours away from you. Do you know of any defining characteristics or ways to identify the smoker?

We're trying to find some pictures but nothing was really defining about it. He made it himself, so it's not a commercially made unit. About the only special thing was it had aluminum "bullet hole" wheels and not cheap trailer wheels.

Oh... he had dual 4" stainless auto exhaust as the smoke stacks.

Just wouldn't have thought a thief would go in a fenced yeard (6' high wooden panel fencing) and cut the tongue lock off. Then roll the trailer to his vehicle and drive off. Damn thing had to be hot. Had to be a team with a plan in place.

That's a real bummer. :mad:
It's amazing what some people will do. :tsk:

I guess I have to ask the question. How/where did the neighbor store the smoker any other night? Was it in a different place or in the garage?

That blows. I wonder if his home owners insurance policy would cover it, assuming it is worth more than the deductible and covered in general.

I guess I have to ask the question. How/where did the neighbor store the smoker any other night? Was it in a different place or in the garage?

It was sitting in the same place it always is, inside his fenced in back yard. He was planning on taking it out for it's first trip over Memorial Day weekend.

Maybe he cooks really bad que and his family couldn't stand it anymore????:oops::blabla::tongue::icon_smile_tongue::razz: I apologize lord , and god bless the pygmies down there in Africa!

That just sucks man!!! The perps probably never knew there was a smoker in the yard until they smelled it. That aroma can do strange things to folks, especially dishonest ones. Might not hurt to put an add in various local Craigs Lists, with pics, just to get the word out. Good Luck!!!

I spoke with a guy who was rocking a brand new huge custom offset about 6 months ago. The reason his smoker was brand new was because his older offset was stolen from behind his place of business, and it also had a lock on the hitch.

His new solution was when it was parked, he takes the wheels off and leaves the smoker sitting on cinder blocks, and a hitch lock. So the thieves would have to bring their own wheels and lug nuts to haul it away. I guess they could always steal a flatbed towtruck first, then yank it up onto the flatbed.

Those farkers had some big balls. Seems the worse the economy gets, the more of this stuff is happening.

A new trend around here is for gas thieves to target large work trucks, assuming there is a lot of gas in the large tanks. Instead of stealing the gas by siphoning, they are crawling under truck, poking a large hole in the tank and placing their containers under hole to drain out all the gas. That's crazy stuff. When they get all they can hold, they just let the rest of gas spill out on the street.

I spoke with a guy who was rocking a brand new huge custom offset about 6 months ago. The reason his smoker was brand new was because his older offset was stolen from behind his place of business, and it also had a lock on the hitch.

His new solution was when it was parked, he takes the wheels off and leaves the smoker sitting on cinder blocks, and a hitch lock. So the thieves would have to bring their own wheels and lug nuts to haul it away. I guess they could always steal a flatbed towtruck first, then yank it up onto the flatbed.

Those farkers had some big balls. Seems the worse the economy gets, the more of this stuff is happening.

A new trend around here is for gas thieves to target large work trucks, assuming there is a lot of gas in the large tanks. Instead of stealing the gas by siphoning, they are crawling under truck, poking a large hole in the tank and placing their containers under hole to drain out all the gas. That's crazy stuff. When they get all they can hold, they just let the rest of gas spill out on the street.

I have actually heard where people were drilling a hole and threading a valve in the bottom of the tank so they can go back for several nights and just take a little every time so the owners would not realize it.

Back