Backwoods smoker owners

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
I don't have the cash yet, but I'm like 99% sure that my next smoker is going to be a backwoods. I like the party and the fatboy style smokers since they seem to be the closest to what I'm looking for in terms of space. Now my main purpose for starting this thread is not to inform everyone of my future smoker, but instead to learn more about the brand and models. I want to know and see everything on these smokers. What's good an bad about them? What options are worth it and what are not? What's the most you ever cooked in your backwoods smoker and model was it? How is it at long cooks?

Tell me everything! I also enjoy seeing actual owner pics and not website pics. I want to see these things in action.

A big thank you in advance!

Nick

I want the extended party BWS One thing that helped me decide was reading differant posts in the BWS Foruim- especially Old Daves Posts

I'm a new owner so I can't offer a lot of experience, but I do have pictures :)

Here are pictures of my Party on the day it arrived...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126044

Here is a thread on the burn-in...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126445

and here is the first cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126594

So far I am impressed by the Party. It meets my need in terms of size, weight and the ability to hold temp and not need to refuel too often. I'll probably add a Guru or Stoker sooner or later.

If I have one complaint, and it's a minor one, is that the racks are cheap and don't look like they will last. Here is a pic of the Party racks.

P5230350.JPG

The grate on my Weber Kettle is made of thicker material.

On the other hand, here is a rack from an extended Party...

Playingaroundandnewsmoker188.jpg

Thanks to White Dog BBQ for the picture.

These racks are more of what I would have expected for the money. I believe the Fatboy has this type of rack as well. I'm not sure why BWS would put such cheap racks in the standard Party. I didn't want an extended Parry or Fat boy because of the additional weight and trailer space, but if I had looked closer at the racks in the pics on the forum I may have noticed the difference and ordered an extended Party just to get some decent racks.

OK... Rant over. Do the racks impact the food that comes out of the Party? Nope, but I plan on keeping it for a long time and having heavy stainless racks would be a huge plus.

I have a fat boy, the only problem is you cant fit a full size pan however the other models will..I love my Guru, it will run most of the night on a load of lump and wood chunks...won two grands with it..

Ive got a competitor and it cooks great, the only thing i don't like is it will not hold as mush meat as backwoods says it will. Ive tried all types of charcoal and found that Stubs works the best with long cook times up to 10-12 hours. I would not go any smaller than a Fatboy because of the water pan. The welded water pan makes it easy to clean and you can make up a water on the side real easy.

I love my Gator!!! It's a FatBoy that can fit Hotel Pans, plus it comes with all the upgrades. SS Racks, Head Diverter, removable waterpan, SS Doors...

One thing that you should get is the 180 deg doors. I didn't know about that when I got mine and I hate how the door only opens about 80 degs and you have to push it/hold it with my hip to keep it open when pulling out the racks.

Otherwise it's a great smoker. I've been cooking this winter with no problems, Chicagoland. Once it's up to temp it sips fuel.

I also have a stoker on it so that could be part of the reason for my fuel usage, but I wouldn't trade me stoker for anything. Love how I can get sleep.

Just noticed Ron's post. My Gator has the better stainless racks.

BTW, that sucks about your racks Ron. Wonder why they went so cheap.

I don't have the cash yet, but I'm like 99% sure that my next smoker is going to be a backwoods. I like the party and the fatboy style smokers since they seem to be the closest to what I'm looking for in terms of space. Now my main purpose for starting this thread is not to inform everyone of my future smoker, but instead to learn more about the brand and models. I want to know and see everything on these smokers. What's good an bad about them? What options are worth it and what are not? What's the most you ever cooked in your backwoods smoker and model was it? How is it at long cooks?

Tell me everything! I also enjoy seeing actual owner pics and not website pics. I want to see these things in action.

A big thank you in advance!

Nick

Nick ,

PM sent..

I have a Party and have no issues with it..only thing is I wish I would have sprung for the extra grate runners..
as far as the grates themselves not lasting..mine are still in one piece after many cooks...

What's the difference between the party and the extended party? I like the fatboy because it looks to have more cooking capacity. Do you all run water in your water pans? I hated running water in my WSM and having to clean it up after wards so I quit doing it.

What's the difference between the party and the extended party? I like the fatboy because it looks to have more cooking capacity. Do you all run water in your water pans? I hated running water in my WSM and having to clean it up after wards so I quit doing it.

I run with water as that's how the cooker is designed. If you don't want to mess with water I would look at other cookers. Mike has made the BW to run with water and that's how they are built.

I went though the same thing but found the water isn't that big of a deal. Plus after cooking on it a few times I've got the water usage dialed in and I don't have much left when I'm done.

Here are some Pics
IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

I have a Party and have no issues with it..only thing is I wish I would have sprung for the extra grate runners..
as far as the grates themselves not lasting..mine are still in one piece after many cooks...

I'm sure that the racks will last, Bill, but the difference between the standard Party and the other cookers is significant and was surprising to me.

The extended Party is 4" deeper.

For my first cook I wanted to run at 300- 325 so I didn't use water. I hope to do a lower temp cook later in the week and will use water then. It is possible to line the water pan with foil pans to reduce the clean up. I saw a post that shows a half pan and a 1/3 pan in the standard party water pan and they fit well. So far i can't find 1/3 size foil pans around here, but i have looked at Restaurant Depot yet.

Here's the post on the Backwoods Forum that shows the foil pans.

http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/forums.htm/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2621&p=8365

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
I've got the fatboy. My two complaints are that it won't hold a full-size hotel pan, It's off by about an inch. I think the gater model takes care of this issue.

The other complaint, which Isn't really a big issue, is the weight. It ways somewhere just under 300 pounds, so it's not exactly easy to move. I fixed the problem with a cart:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124590&highlight=cart+fatboy

I run with water for the most part but if want to do a little higher heat such as for chicken i just foil the empty pan ..I find I can get get higher temps easier that way
also the water pan is a lot bigger than the wsm pan..with a heat deflector water does not burn down that quick..i usually have to top mine off once during an all night cook usually

I purchased the gator model last summer and have loved it ever since. It is a little on the heavy side, but I had a custom rack built for it to be able to move it around easier. Once I get the trailer I want it will be a lot easier to load and unload. The gator model comes with many additional features standard (i.e. removable water pan, heat diverter, 5 racks rather than the 4 with the fatboy). It can also hold full size pans. I also like that it came with expanded metal racks. I actually like the expanded metal racks over the stainless racks. I can easily cook 20 slabs of st. louis style ribs, I think I can fit 10 briskets that are around 12 lbs trimmed, 16-20 pork butts depending on size and bone-in vs no bone. The butterfly valve is a nice option because if you ever want to mount it to a trailer and extend the stack it is pretty easy. The 180 degree door option is a little pricey and not necessarily needed. To stop the door from closing on you just pull the bottom rack out and it will keep the door from closing. I decided to get the door to open left handed because I thought it would work better for me and it has (I am right handed). Let me know if you have any other questions.
Here are pics of my gator.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 574
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 575
For having such huge capacity the smokers look so tiny in all of the pictures.

Are there certain options that one should definitely get or is stock good enough?

What exactly does the ball valve on the side do?

The ball valve on the side is for the smokers that have a permanent water pan to be able to drain the water out. Some have even taken the valve and set it up to be able to automatically fill it with water. If you have a removable water pan you have to lift the water pan out. It takes a little practice to get the water pan out, but after a few times it is pretty easy.

For having such huge capacity the smokers look so tiny in all of the pictures.

Are there certain options that one should definitely get or is stock good enough?

What exactly does the ball valve on the side do?

I really like the 180 doors I got with mine, and the heat diverter is a good option as well. If you're going with a party you'll probably want to upgrade to the commercial firebasket as well. It holds more charcoal for longer cooks.

Back