My first Rib Roast... Strings on or off?

MIKEMAC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am doing my first rib roast today and I wonder if I should leave the strings on it or take them off?

Leave them on, they keep it together. Did one for Christmas this year, when it was done and I removed them the main roast wass not attached to the ribs.

Typically they are holding the ribs on. We usually cook it tied together, then once theroast is done remove it from the ribs and stash them for another meal. Good luck!

Yep. The strings are holding the bones on because the butcher has partially cut them free from the roast to make it easy to remove and easy to slice the roast. I leave them on to give the roast additional flavor. I always add turbinado sugar on my rub to make a great bark.

Just my.02. One thing to consider. Usually the way you cook a rib roast is reletively hot and fast, so the bones don't add much in the way of flavor IMHO. I trimmed mine off ahead of time, then tied the roast to make it round as possible, which helps it to cook a little more evenly.

I cooked it to 115 internal, and removed and rested it while I took the plate setter out and brought the egg up temp for the final sear. Unfortunately, I only have the trim and tie pics. When it was done, took it to the MIL's with the rest of dinner, and forgot the camera.I vacu-sealed the fatty tips to use in burger/sausage later, and the ribs for stock in a seperate vacu-bag

roast1.jpg

Back