Injecting a Pork Butt

Roguejim

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm going to smoke a couple of butts, and am going to inject one with the concoction below. Do the ingredients look compatible? Any issues?

Fresh OJ
mustard
sweet/spicy pork rub

I haven't come up with amounts yet, but I will simply blend them all together, inject, and let rest for several hours.

I'm going to smoke a couple of butts, and am going to inject one with the concoction below. Do the ingredients look compatible? Any issues?

Fresh OJ
mustard
sweet/spicy pork rub

I haven't come up with amounts yet, but I will simply blend them all together, inject, and let rest for several hours.

Just my $.02 but I don't know that I would use mustard and OJ in there. If you are experimenting by all means go for it and let us know.

Godspeed Sir :thumb:

I have never injected a butt before, but I do sometimes poke holes in them and stuff garlic down inside. So, using garlic in your injection is an option -- perhaps garlic powder.

CD

Interesting. I've thought before about trying OJ but it doesn't seem like the right kinda juice to inject. Sooo acidy n thicker.

But try it and report!!! :)

I was thinking of cutting the OJ with a bit of water, if necessary. The rub would have plenty of garlic and other spices. Mustard would give a bit of tanginess. I'm doin' it.

I'm a little concerned about the amount of acid. If it sits too long the meat might get mushy.

I injected a butt one time with some juicy juice brand mango juice. It actually turned out really good.

I usually inject vinegar based marinade. The OJ may be too bitter, but try it. Basalmic, Worchestire, garlic powder, thyme and rub of choice. Some use apple juice, that seams to be a milder juice you may want to try if you like sweeter marinades.

A Cuban Mojo marinade/injection uses sour orange juice but its all in the taste you want. I don't know how regular OJ would do. Let us know if you try it.

I use a mix of apple juice and rub (same one that is used on the outside). Not sure how the OJ will do. Pineapple will definitely turn the meat to mush in the time it takes to cook. You may consider injecting just before you start the cook just in case the OJ acts like pineapple juice. I use either mustard or olive oil on the outside to help bind the rub so I think mustard on the inside would be fine. m2cents

Injecting will also help shorten the cook time which is the main reason I use it. I don't think the injection adds much flavor while it cooks. The real splash comes at the end once you pull the meat. Put a little splash of the drippings (skim off the oil first) and rub on the pulled meat. Instant flavor.

Our favorite and the one that gave us the best bark was coating with molasses and then our rub. Injected with apple juice, water, a little salt, and a dash more molasses. They came out great with a great bark.

I think apple juice is the best liquid for pork butt injections. I did a Cuban Mojo injection in a butt one time and it was very delicious so OJ could be a good idea if cut with some other liquid like apple juice or beer to help keep the acidity down a bit.

Injecting will also help shorten the cook time which is the main reason I use it. I don't think the injection adds much flavor while it cooks. The real splash comes at the end once you pull the meat. Put a little splash of the drippings (skim off the oil first) and rub on the pulled meat. Instant flavor.

Q, how does injecting cut the cook time. Never heard that but sounds interesting. Thanks.

I recently used Spicy Brown Mustard mixed with Red Wine Vinegar, and added some of the rub mixed with some herb marinade powder from McCormick and added enough water to make it the consistency of catchup. Injected it as heavily as possible, then rubbed more mustard on the outside and coated the dry rub on it. I placed my Boston Butt on the grill with the fat cap up (trimmed fat cap on mine). 9 hours later, running at 275*, it was done at 197*, with a beautiful bark on it.

Attachments

• Smoked Boston Butt 001.jpg
    Smoked Boston Butt 001.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 103
Apple Juice, water, salt, etc.. as mentioned above are all good but there are also several commercially available injections. Google Butcher's BBQ, FAB, or Kosmos for more info on these. Most (not all) competition teams use one of these.

Back