How often can you stuff your test subjects full of 'cue?

twinsfan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know if you're a master chef you could serve grilled and smoked delights every night and people would enjoy it, but how often do you serve your food to your test subjects (family) without getting guilty/bad looks? Even though it's summer, you got to sometimes mix in other dishes and food not with the kettle or that thick smoke flavor.

Even though BBQ is a hobby of mine, I don't love eating it, even the best. For me, cooking's the enjoyment. In fact, I'd rather have some good Thai noodles with homegrown veggies then a brisket or ribs, with a very few exceptions. So I wish I could cook it everyday but just don't serve/eat it every day.

Just smoked food, at least once a week. They don't ever seem to get tired of it since there isn't anyone else in my group of family/friends that cooks BBQ. I really love to eat BBQ, but I get equal if not more happiness from having others enjoy it. I like you though do mix it up and can't eat BBQ every day. I do like making random things with leftovers though.

I will say the times where I eat the least amount of my BBQ meat is during the competitions where we cook large quantities of it. We taste what we turn in, but don't chow down on it :crazy:.

I feed my test subjects (my wife, my son and whoever's visiting) BBQ pretty much once a week on Saturday or Sunday (depending on the weather), but I try to mix it up so it doesn't get boring:

pulled pork, brisket, whole chicken, pork loin, pulled chuck, chicken thighs, spareribs, grilled ribeyes, chicken wings, babybacks, marinated skirt steaks, grilled bone in chicken breasts, fatties, MOINKs, ABTs, rib tips...and a great variety of side dishes.

You get the idea. Don't over smoke the food and mix up your seasonings too. If everything tastes the same, anyone would get bored in a hurry.

Just about once a week if I change up the meat and the sauce I serve with the Q.

Last night my family requested Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo so I smoked some chicken breasts on the gasser and chopped them into the sauce.

Everybody loved the Fettuccine so I figure it is all about how you change the food up so nothing gets repetitious but is still delicious.

Just about once a week if I change up the meat and the sauce I serve with the Q.

Last night my family requested Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo so I smoked some chicken breasts on the gasser and chopped them into the sauce.

Everybody loved the Fettuccine so I figure it is all about how you change the food up so nothing gets repetitious but is still delicious.

+1 on the alfredo, except I grill up some chicken and use that

I smoke on the weekends once and grill on the kettles or gasser twice a week at least.

Suprised, thought the master chefs here would be at least grilling almost every night.

I have just my wife as a test subject and I've got to find more. She's starting to get a little large. :cool:

My wife and I cook competitions and our season usually starts in early May. By the end of May neither of us can eat BBQ until mid November. Our comp leftovers go to family, friends, co workers or for a good cause if a competition offers that option. The folks who get the leftovers don;t seem to tired of them :-D

For us, I grill almost every day during the week and on the weekend if we don't have a comp scheduled. Most of the time I cook the whole meal on the grill, but I do use the stove top or oven once in a while. It's actually rare that I cook meat indoors throughout the year, regardless of the weather.

I que 2 to 3 times a week. I try to do pretty full loads in the WSM to make the most out of the fuel it takes to run it. I'll usually cook a variety of stuff. Brisket, tri-tip or chuckie, maybe a butt, but I do chicken quarters or whole birds a lot too, and then I'll throw boneless chicken breasts and a half turkey breast in toward the end. I've got 3 kids, so the big cuts of meat usually last a couple of dinners, then we'll cube up the chicken breast and put it in zip locks for making nachos, salads, pasta dishes, etc. My wife loves the smoked turkey breast sliced and used in salad that she takes to work. I've started cooking more and more side dishes in the smoker as well, because it's so hot in the summer that I don't want to turn the oven or stove on in the house if I can help it. I'll sweat my butt off outside while I'm cooking, but at least the house is nice and cool when I'm done. :cool:

I'll smoke something at least once a week, and I grill or smoke every day that I don't work, which averages four days per week. If I didn't have to work (or didn't have to work 12 hours at a time) I would cook outside every day it's not raining.

My wife (Redhot) and I most often cook together. We grill or smoke an average of two/three nights per week I guess and have leftovers that can be used in secondary dishes. We do a lot of veggies on the grill too so it's not just meats and not standard recipes either because we love experimenting with different marinades, sauces and flavor combinations.

I know if you're a master chef you could serve grilled and smoked delights every night and people would enjoy it, but how often do you serve your food to your test subjects (family) without getting guilty/bad looks? Even though it's summer, you got to sometimes mix in other dishes and food not with the kettle or that thick smoke flavor.

Even though BBQ is a hobby of mine, I don't love eating it, even the best. For me, cooking's the enjoyment. In fact, I'd rather have some good Thai noodles with homegrown veggies then a brisket or ribs, with a very few exceptions. So I wish I could cook it everyday but just don't serve/eat it every day.

This is funny - I have been smoking almost every weekend since spring just for parctice and I cook a lot of meat. The wife rolls her eyes now when I start the smoker up..:-D
She is not a big pork eater so she gets her fill of it fast so I take a lot of it to work and let the scavengers eat the leftovers.

My wife and I cook competitions and our season usually starts in early May. By the end of May neither of us can eat BBQ until mid November. Our comp leftovers go to family, friends, co workers or for a good cause if a competition offers that option. The folks who get the leftovers don;t seem to tired of them :-D

For us, I grill almost every day during the week and on the weekend if we don't have a comp scheduled. Most of the time I cook the whole meal on the grill, but I do use the stove top or oven once in a while. It's actually rare that I cook meat indoors throughout the year, regardless of the weather.

Ditto to what Ron said to the letter...my wife and I eat very little bbq these days...but we have yet to run out of family, freinds, or co-workers as test subjects. All of our comp meats are sold to them at cost as well...helping us with our expenses.

Back