Are Ribs off topic??

SteveT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
If so... I apologize...but, I was wondering if any of you guys had ever tried tenderizing beef ribs in cherry coke?? My son fixed some beef ribs in my Weber Kettle grill (with the charcoal off to the sides), after letting them soak in Cherry coke over night, and I have never tasted beef ribs as tender as those were. This was the first time my son had "ever" tried fixing ribs, and he did a great job on them as noted, they were very tender, and also very tasty!! :smile: :smile:

SteveT

Ribs are very on topic around here. :thumb:

Never tried that - sounds interesting. It's easier for me to picture that being done with pork ribs rather than beef - probably 'cause I was raised in the Southeast, but definitely sounds worth trying! I haven't tried marinating ribs at all, for that matter, but it's on my list of things to try.

When my son suggested doing it, I was a little leery of it, but quite truthfully, I did not taste the cherry coke at all...so, as noted, I think it works great...
Oh...and my favorite BBQ (and sorry if this is blasphemy), are pork ribs. However, my son can't eat pork so, when I smoke ribs, I always have to include some beef for him.

SteveT

Ribs are certainly "on topic" around here. I remember discussing the use of Coca Cola versus Pepsi awhile back. If my memory serves me correctly the phosphoric acid content was higher with coke.

check out Patio Daddios Bovine Bath, i tried it for the first time this weekend on a brisket and it was awesome. i however didnt have any regular coke around so i used 1 can cherry cola, and 1 can diet coke. awesome flavor, i would save the bath as he suggests, bring it to a boil to kill whatever you got going in there and then use it as a mop on the ribs as they cook. just a thought for ya.

check out Patio Daddios Bovine Bath, i tried it for the first time this weekend on a brisket and it was awesome. i however didnt have any regular coke around so i used 1 can cherry cola, and 1 can diet coke. awesome flavor, i would save the bath as he suggests, bring it to a boil to kill whatever you got going in there and then use it as a mop on the ribs as they cook. just a thought for ya.

Sounds interesting!! will have to try that too....

Hey, I just joined this forum, and learning things already... :clap2:

SteveT

Was it Diet Cherry Coke and did you boil them? JK, Sounds very interesting, thanks for sharing, I like pork anything to be perfectly honest!

It is indeed the phosphoric acid in the coke that acts as a tenderizer. The same acid that causes kidney stones if you drink a heaps and heaps of it, will make a tooth disappear if left in it, and helps remove surface rust. My brother uses the cherry coke idea, and loves his ribs. HOWEVER I would never use DIET items for the grill or smoker. The aspartame is bad enough for the body to consume when cold, but it introduces a whole other level of free radicals when heated. Which although may taste good, just introduces levels of artificiality to your que and food.

It is indeed the phosphoric acid in the coke that acts as a tenderizer. The same acid that causes kidney stones if you drink a heaps and heaps of it, will make a tooth disappear if left in it, and helps remove surface rust. My brother uses the cherry coke idea, and loves his ribs. HOWEVER I would never use DIET items for the grill or smoker. The aspartame is bad enough for the body to consume when cold, but it introduces a whole other level of free radicals when heated. Which although may taste good, just introduces levels of artificiality to your que and food.

Yep... Totall agree with Smiter, Cola is as corrosive as it gets! that's why they were soooo tender, and aspartame, that will definitely kill you...

Now, on the other hand, I would definitely try reduce it to a syrup consistency and play with it as a mop or glace.

I suppose I prefer BB's but, for about 3 years I've mostly been buying Spares because of the price. I cut them St. L style & nibble and, or save the cooked trimmings. makes great bbq pork & carm onion pizza's, tacos,
beans etc.

That's blasphemy only in Texas. :heh:

I don't know where the myth comes from that as far as ribs we are a "beef " rib state. Lockhart, Taylor, Angelos - Fort Worth, Zion, everywhere but maybe Gonzales Pork spares are king.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
It comes from all the television shows and magazine articles telling us that the only real BBQ in Texas is brisket, and sometimes beef sausage. Those of use who have never been to Texas have to believe what the media tells us.

Well....having lived in Burkburnett, Texas for about ten years (1959 to 1969), and having played in bands that traveled over a large part of Texas, I can say that Texas is like a lot of other parts of the country...BBQ changes depending on what part of Texas you live in... But fortunately..... It's pretty much "all good"...

I am also fortunate to be able to get a taste of Texas BBQ any time I want to drive about 45 miles (one way...and I do this about twice in three months usually), as there is a place in Castroville, CA. that is called Central Texan BBQ, and is owned by a "gentleman" by the name of Don Elkins, who is from Plano, Texas. This place is pretty cool, it has a "funky" old Texas "dive bar" decor, with sawdust on the floor, picnic tables in the middle of the rooms and home-made plywood booths around the walls.. He serves, beef ribs, pork ribs, beef brisket, turkey, chicken, sausages, ham, and I believe, pulled pork....and everything I have ever gotten there was great, with the possible exception of the chicken, which I thought was a bit dry, but it was still good!!!

SteveT

Back