Pulled pork..Start.

D

deadeye531

I have 85 pounds of boston butts that I picked up today sitting in the fridge. Let me say that takes up alot of space. I am doing a cook on friday for church and am doing it all on a charbroiler. I know its going to be tight but they will fit I tested it today when I brought them home. Question is as I havent done this much at one time before, the most I have done was 25 pounds. They are planning to eat about 9-10pm am I right in starting about 6 am? or should I start earlier or later? I have all my fresh seasoned hickory ready which also will be a first as I used to buy the bags of mini logs from academy. I will have my camera for pics during the cook and pron. Also I will be putting some ABTs on as well. Thanks for any help and input.

Sounds like that will give you plenty of time to finish them off assuming they will cook for 9 to 12 hours. Just put them in a cooler wrapped in foil as they are done and let them rest until it's time to serve.

Just out of curiosity, when you say they fit, do you mean that you can cram them in 'wall to wall' or do you mean that there is a couple inches around each of them and the sides of the pit? Have you really considered the effects of that much meat on a small cooker and the effect of air flow (convection) that is key in a small cooker, especially for smoking?

I wish you the best of luck, I don't mean to be negative, but, that is a 'butt' load of pork in a small cooker.

You are going to find that if they are packed in there they will take longer to cook. You have to heat up 3 times the mass and that will take a lot of fuel. If you have a chance get one smaller batch done and put in the fridge. While you are cooking the second batch you can reheat the first in the oven. When they are all done you can mix them together and no one will know.

If they are touching you will need to adjust accordingly. Raise the cooking temp to 290F to 325F and foil them when they reach an internal temp of about 160F-165F. Once they reach about 205F internal put them a the cooler and let them rest for a couple of hours.

Cooking in batches is a good idea too.

Just thinking out loud here - I haven't done hot & fast butts myself, but others have with success. One possibility would be to take some of the bigger butts, do them h&f first & while they're resting do the smaller ones (also h&f). As far as I know, you can rest up to 6 hours - maybe longer - haven't tried longer myself.

As stated above, that's a lot of mass to heat up. You definitely want air to circulate freely around the meat (hmmm...wonder if there's any jokes there :heh:). If you could even get a couple out - maybe put some in a kettle? Or smoke some for a few hours and stick 'em in the oven and start another round? Just trying to throw out some ideas....btw I normally don't foil but if you get behind, foil will be your friend here.

Another option: "Honey, I've been looking at this Klose/Jambo/Lang...."

I mean...it's for the church...

Heck yeah! Lang/Klose/Jambo: either one will be acceptable to the Lord as the some of the best BBQ cookers out there. Would you serve the Lord anything but the best? :-D

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Hmmm, my church had a long brick and CMU put in the back, we could cook hundreds of pounds of chicken or pork, heck, we could done a steer on that sucker. I am not sure how it came about that a Japanese Methodist Church in California ended up with a BBQ pit. Of course, I learned Santa Maria style cooking from the same type of church in Santa Maria area of CA, so there you go.

Thanks for all the help guys. I listened and am doing the cook in two batches. Man I'm gonna be tired I started at 7 pm tonight with 5 butts on and will start the other 5 as soon as these are done. I have taken some pics so far but I don't have internet where I am just my phone but if someone wants to email me at landon531 at yahoo I will send pics if they could post for me. And as far as the lang or klose go I can't afford that. I am working on a build if I can find an axle or old trailer to mount it too. I bought a 350 gallon tank and have someone that will use a water jet to cut it if I can ever get what I need to pick it up from the shop I bought it at. Well back to the cookin I just finished prepping the abts and have been making some homemade bbq sauce

Got the first batch off and resting in the cooler at 550 and got the smoker back up to temp and just put the second batch of 5 butts on. Not too bad and only 30 mins of sleep. Man I need a uds

Good morning, and good luck. Sounds like you have it rolling.

good plan working well..... hope you get some rest this weekend

Morning guys. I hope I get some rest too after workin 6 to 5 yesterday and then cooking all night and today I'm gonna need it. I will get pics up later today I stayed at the church cooking all night. Only thuing I didn't take any pics of and I'm sorry was my pig candy for breakfast lol. Had leftover bacon from the abts and brown sugar from makin sauce and couldn't resist. It was definately the right thing to do breaking the cook up

Are you still awake? Still moving at all?

Well so much for sleeping in today and resting. Had an emergency service call for work at 6am. Sorry I didnt updat anymore during the cook and last night. Both of my phones died on me. I ended up getting back home at 11pm last night and man was I wore out. Just alittle recap and some pics now also. Smoked 85 pounds of butts and did it in 2 batches. Started the first at 7:40pm Thursday had to adjust them around to get the air flow I needed and while they were rolling along I worked on some new sauce that ive been trying to get right( not quite there yet) and some dry rub I mixed up. Also cut and prepped 64 ABT's around 2am. At 3am I foiled the butts and added some apple juice. Pulled those 5 butts off the smoker at 540am Friday. Got the smoker temps back up and put the last 5 butts on at 650 am. After finding my arrangement for airflow I knew where these needed to go and didnt worry about them much. After I got them on I remembered I had some bacon left over from making the ABT's so I decided on some pig candy for breakfast, my wife got mad she wasnt there to have any. Foiled these butts up and pulled them off at 4pm. Had 2 coolers full of meat resting and got back out to put the ABT's on the smoker. The temps didnt drop any and they were ready to go. I had to arrange them more because I wanted my temps to fall some but after the smoker had been running non stop since 630pm Thursday it wouldnt budge. Got done cooking with everything at 7pm Friday. Got all the butts pulled and set out in a server just as everyone was coming in to eat. Ended up having alot of other Pastors ask me to come cook for their next meeting and wouldnt quit saying how much they liked it and how moist the meat was. Now time for some pics. I didnt get pron of the finished food since my phones died on me.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG00004-20110708-0216[1].jpg
    IMG00004-20110708-0216[1].jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG00005-20110708-0216[1].jpg
    IMG00005-20110708-0216[1].jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG00008-20110708-0650[1].jpg
    IMG00008-20110708-0650[1].jpg