Wrapping????

scottm4300

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but I've read several posts that refer to wrapping. It almost sounds like you smoke your meat for a while, pull it out, wrap it in foil, and then stick it back in the smoker later. Is this correct? What's the theory behind this?

Thanks

Scott

"...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

moisture is good.

read the thread called Roadmap at the top of this forum

the ribs area 3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour out of foil and mopped (3-2-1) Pork butts and brisket, 165-170, wrap, back in to 190, out, and in the cooler to continue cooking

Its all about breaking down connective tissues at low temperatures

scottm4300 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but I've read several posts that refer to wrapping. It almost sounds like you smoke your meat for a while, pull it out, wrap it in foil, and then stick it back in the smoker later. Is this correct? What's the theory behind this?

Thanks

Scott

"...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

You are correct. Some folks swear by it, and some swear at those that use the technique, and others are indifferent. I use it most of the time for brisket. I'll cook a brisket to anywhere from 150-170 degrees internal depending on what I have going on, the type of wood I'm using, or my preference for that day. By wrapping in foil you prevent additional smoke from flavoring the meat. One drawback is that the bark doesn't develope quite as much and it's not as firm as it would be if you didn't foil it.

That's my quick stab at it. You'll get plenty of opinions on this I'm sure! :D

Theory has it that the meat stops taking on a smoke flavor a 140 degrees as well your smoke ring stops. At approx. 160 brisket and pork plateaus and will hang at that temp for several hours before reaching doneness.

Wrapping accelerates the process by a few hours.

CosmicCookin said:
Theory has it that the meat stops taking on a smoke flavor a 140 degrees as well your smoke ring stops. At approx. 160 brisket and pork plateaus and will hang at that temp for several hours before reaching doneness.

Wrapping accelerates the process by a few hours.

good point

2 weeks ago, I had a pork but stuck at 153 for almost 3 hours. Then, it climbed to 170 in minutes, Wrapped it, and it hi 190 in an hour and 20.

Left it wrapped, put in the cooler, and it slowly cam back to 155 for pulling.

Hmmm.... 11pm pulled pork mod

its doin the same thing that a few hours in a dutch oven, oven bag, crock pot, etc would do, allow the meat to tenderize in its own juices with moist heat as well as speed up the process a little bit.

I said a hip, hop, hippy to the hip hip hopping to bang bang boogie to the rhythm of the boogiedy beat...

Hmmm? What? Oh "wrapping"!!

Well I wrap my butts at 165 and I feel like playing with the fire some more I'll put it back in the smoker. If I'm tired, then I will put it in the oven and take it to 190.

Just don't forget to spray it when you wrap it!

Wrapping a towel around the foil wrapped meat and placing in a dry cooler for a couple of hours will produce a more tender brisket or pork butt.

Bigmista said:
I said a hip, hop, hippy to the hip hip hopping to bang bang boogie to the rhythm of the boogiedy beat...

Hmmm? What? Oh "wrapping"!!

Well I wrap my butts at 165 and I feel like playing with the fire some more I'll put it back in the smoker. If I'm tired, then I will put it in the oven and take it to 190.

Just don't forget to spray it when you wrap it!

ROFL, Mista! Did you have to Google those lyrics? ;)

Back