THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DBH

Knows what a fatty is.
I've always been a no-wrap kind of guy until the butts are done. Haven't done butts on a WSM in forever. On the road with family and got asked to do a couple butts on their WSM. I'd like to start early and get done cooking for a 2 hour rest. Was thinking about wrapping for this cook.

My question for those of you that wrap, once wrapped and the pork is to finishing temp, do you open up the foil to let it set up any before wrapping again to rest for a couple hours? Or just let it roll wrapped until near ready to pull?

Depends on how much time you have and how you want the bark to be.

If you have the time, and want the crunchier bark, Unwrap it and let it firm up after it hits temp. Do note that it will never be as crunchy as it would have been without wrapping at all.

As for me, I don't care so much about crunchy bark so I just take off the pit when it hits temp/tenderness and vent for 10 min before resting. I started with comp cooking so I like the softer bark.

Depends on how much time you have and how you want the bark to be.

If you have the time, and want the crunchier bark, Unwrap it and let it firm up after it hits temp. Do note that it will never be as crunchy as it would have been without wrapping at all.

As for me, I don't care so much about crunchy bark so I just take off the pit when it hits temp/tenderness and vent for 10 min before resting. I started with comp cooking so I like the softer bark.

Thanks for that. I don't care much about super crunchy bark on this, but don't want mushy either. Was thinking vent for a half hour then wrap tight in new foil.

Any time you wrap it it's gonna soften the bark. Even in the fridge. Softened bark still tastes fine when mixed with the shredded meat.

Back